Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to connect to Microsoft SQL Server "An Error happened while reading data from the provide..."

I get the following erro when trying to connect to the Microsoft SQL Server to get data from a database. When I put the server name it does this, but when I put the IP address of the server, it works fine.

Details: "An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Could not load file or assembly 'System.EnterpriseServices, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. Either a required impersonation level was not provided, or the provided impersonation level is invalid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070542)'"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I managed to solve this issue. It was not a .net issue. I previously connected to a datasource using different credentials. Despite me using my current credentials for the new power bi file connection, it was still trying with that other credentials. I had to clear all connection permissions and restart my Power BI and then it worked.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
JordiDeGirona

Hi

I tried to reinstall NET, register and unregoster DLL, etc, etc.

Opening Excel with admin can open a query, but not with my usual user.

Finally, ther solution was:

Create a query that works opening excel with admin user, and save the excel file

Open excel with regular user, and open file saved in previous step

Go to Edit query (Power Query Editor) -> Configure data source button -> Edit permissions ->Uncheck cipher connection

Solved

Any new query you create will work as usual

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I managed to solve this issue. It was not a .net issue. I previously connected to a datasource using different credentials. Despite me using my current credentials for the new power bi file connection, it was still trying with that other credentials. I had to clear all connection permissions and restart my Power BI and then it worked.

Just restart the Power BI desktop, and you will be connected to your SQL database. 

It did help. And I spent many hours on researching in regards to the error.

Strange bahaviour of PBI. It is enough to change password to get into this error.

Great tip. Thanks a lot!

Hi @Anonymous ,

look at this, seems to be a similar problem.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Unable-to-Connect-to-SQL-Server/td-p/202262

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.

Please give Kudos for support.

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.