Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

jnpb
Helper I
Helper I

Two types of datapoints represented on a heatmap, visualized differently - possible?

Hi all,

I have a heatmap that I’ve built that is meant to have two objectives:

- identify a business location on the map
- identify the location of customers whose purchase is associated to that business location

Purpose:

We’re trying to extrapolate service area coverage to identify certain metrics (eg from how far away are customers traveling to a business location, obvious gaps in our service area coverage where it would be advantageous to implement within, etc)

Context:

The employee that requested this used a Google Map as a visual aide in articulating this to me. On that map, they simply pinned the business location, pinned customer locations and then matched the colour assigned to the location to the one they used to represent customers.

Current State:

- Thus far I have customers represented by heatmap and this functionally works.

- I have as of yet been unable to visualize the business location as a fixed point / pin on the same visualization.

What I’m seeking advice on:

- Can both customers and the business location be represented in a sensible way at the same time? If so, what would be the best approach?

- A stretch goal is having the visualization adjust it’s view to be zoomed into the area where results are focused? Currently a region is selected by a slicer and often a bunch of zoom,pan,zoom,pan etc is involved to get it in view. Just feels clunky.

I’m currently using this heatmap visualization that someone once recommended to me (v 1.1.10, found here: https://weiweicui.github.io/PowerBI-Heatmap ) , but am certainly open to anything else that solves for this.

Thanks in advance for any insight you might have - sorry for the long post, just wanted to provide as much detail as possible.

2 REPLIES 2
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @jnpb 

Can you provide sample data for testing? Sensitive information can be removed in advance. What kind of expected results do you expect? You can also show it with pictures. I look forward to your response.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-zhangti , 

I've created a a sample dataset - I've removed everything but the two relevant columns: 

- customer postal / zip code

- site name (this is the business site that customer purchase record is attached to) 

I'm trying to represent both the:

- customer entries themself via the heatmap (attached a photo that shows this as I have it setup right now) 

- site location shown as a fixed point (i've drawn an example of this on the map screenshot as an example of what i mean)

I'm also open to having this visualized in a different way if it makes sense while still serving the purpose

i also included a third screenshot of the "bonus" problem I'm having, where when i choose a business location from the slicer, the map view defaults to a very zoomed out view instead of being focused. I'm not sure how to get this to improve either, in case you might have an idea. 

Thanks in advance for having a look, I appreciate it!

customers relative to the business location.pngnot focused view.png

Link to sample data: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13S7GZtGtrvst34Q7ZJQOWCVhrUkv44wM/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=11257...

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.