Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mamta2arya

Two pivot tables from excel to power BI

I have two pivot tables in excel that use different month filters and merge these two tables into one and finally created a graph from the merged table. I want to achieve the same results in power BI. Now the data is in dataflows. I can create different graphs but putting together everything in one graph like in excel is difficult . Any ideas how can I achieve this in Power BI? Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
johnbasha33
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@mamta2arya 

In Power BI, you can achieve similar results to merging two pivot tables in Excel and creating a graph from the merged data. Here's a general approach you can follow:

1. **Load Dataflows into Power BI Desktop**:
Import the dataflows into Power BI Desktop as separate tables.

2. **Create Queries**:
Create separate queries for each table, applying any necessary transformations and filters to align with the different month filters you used in Excel.

3. **Merge Queries**:
Merge the two queries into a single query using Power Query. You can use the "Merge Queries" feature to join the tables based on a common key, such as a date column.

4. **Combine Data**:
Expand the columns from the merged table to combine the data from both queries into a single table.

5. **Create Graph**:
Use the combined table to create a graph in Power BI. You can use visualizations such as a line chart, column chart, or area chart to represent the data from both queries.

6. **Apply Filters**:
Apply filters to the graph to replicate the month filters you used in Excel. You can use slicers or date range filters to allow users to select the desired time periods.

7. **Format Graph**:
Format the graph as needed to make it visually appealing and easy to understand. You can customize colors, labels, and axis settings to improve the readability of the graph.

8. **Create Dashboard**:
Add the graph to a dashboard along with any other relevant visuals or information. You can create multiple pages within the dashboard to organize different views of the data.

By following these steps, you should be able to replicate the functionality of merging two pivot tables in Excel and creating a graph from the merged data in Power BI. Power BI offers more flexibility and interactivity compared to Excel, allowing you to create dynamic and insightful visualizations for your data.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
johnbasha33
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@mamta2arya 

In Power BI, you can achieve similar results to merging two pivot tables in Excel and creating a graph from the merged data. Here's a general approach you can follow:

1. **Load Dataflows into Power BI Desktop**:
Import the dataflows into Power BI Desktop as separate tables.

2. **Create Queries**:
Create separate queries for each table, applying any necessary transformations and filters to align with the different month filters you used in Excel.

3. **Merge Queries**:
Merge the two queries into a single query using Power Query. You can use the "Merge Queries" feature to join the tables based on a common key, such as a date column.

4. **Combine Data**:
Expand the columns from the merged table to combine the data from both queries into a single table.

5. **Create Graph**:
Use the combined table to create a graph in Power BI. You can use visualizations such as a line chart, column chart, or area chart to represent the data from both queries.

6. **Apply Filters**:
Apply filters to the graph to replicate the month filters you used in Excel. You can use slicers or date range filters to allow users to select the desired time periods.

7. **Format Graph**:
Format the graph as needed to make it visually appealing and easy to understand. You can customize colors, labels, and axis settings to improve the readability of the graph.

8. **Create Dashboard**:
Add the graph to a dashboard along with any other relevant visuals or information. You can create multiple pages within the dashboard to organize different views of the data.

By following these steps, you should be able to replicate the functionality of merging two pivot tables in Excel and creating a graph from the merged data in Power BI. Power BI offers more flexibility and interactivity compared to Excel, allowing you to create dynamic and insightful visualizations for your data.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.