Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

parkerminner

Trying to install Power BI current version

I have a user running a much older version of Power BI and we are unable to install the PowerBIDesktopSetup_x64.exe because the installer states ACCEPT_EULA = 1 not present. I've attempted force feeding the argument via command line, and I receive the error "This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package." I am trying to install as administrator on the local machine, CMD was run as admin as well when I tried that way.  I've tried online solutions - none have worked.

3 REPLIES 3
v-jialongy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Thanks for your pormpt reply! @amitchandak 

Hi @parkerminner 

Here are a series of steps and checks to help troubleshoot and resolve these issues:

1. Verify the Installation File
The error message "This installation package could not be opened" suggests there might be an issue with the installer file itself:
Redownload the installer from the official Microsoft website to ensure the file is not corrupted. Sometimes, partial or failed downloads can result in a corrupt installation file.
Download Location:Download Microsoft Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center

2. Use Correct Command Line Syntax
If you're using command-line installation with specific arguments such as `ACCEPT_EULA=1`, ensure your syntax is correct. For a typical MSI (Microsoft Installer) package, the command might look something like this:

msiexec /i 
"PathToMSIFile\PowerBIDesktop_x64.msi" 
ACCEPT_EULA=1 /qn

/i: Specifies install mode.
/qn: Sets the UI level to none for a silent install, replace with `/qb` for minimal UI.
Path Correction: Ensure that the path to the MSI file is correct.

Best Regards,

Jayleny

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

parkerminner

Microsoft Store is blocked by my company's security policy, are there any other alternatives?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@parkerminner , Try if you can install using the Microsoft Store available in Windows.

If that does not work log an issue - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.