Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Dayna
Helper V
Helper V

Truncating "value exceeding its max length or precision" within PowerBI Service

Hello,

When loading my table into the PowerBI service, I get the following:

ERROR [HY000] [DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver][OPENEDGE]Column FIELDNAME in table TABLENAME has value exceeding its max length or precision

I can't change this within the source data, any suggestions on what I can do to avoid this issue?

I've tried to add a custom column and remove the problem one, but as it's rendering the field, it still throws this error.

Any advice and assistance is apprecaited.

Many thanks,

Dayna

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dayna ,

Since it can't be changed in data source, if it is possible to write a sql query command to load the data into Power BI to exclude that field with long text? 

What Is The Maximum Length Of A Text Value In Power BI?

yingyinr_0-1661333471859.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dayna ,

Since it can't be changed in data source, if it is possible to write a sql query command to load the data into Power BI to exclude that field with long text? 

What Is The Maximum Length Of A Text Value In Power BI?

yingyinr_0-1661333471859.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I'll take a look, thanks!

Dayna
Helper V
Helper V

Hello,

The field is of type text, I've managed to avoid the issue at the moment by tweaking the source SQL to exclude the parent account I know it is, but ideally, I'd like to just exclude the one that's exceeding the length if that's possible.

Many thanks,

Dayna

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Dayna , what is the data type for column fieldname, based on that we can find. Seem like a bigger value then expected is coming

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.