Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

theBIbutler
Resolver II
Resolver II

Trailing Space Duplicates

Hi All,

Came across something the other day which may be of use to someone....

I was creating a list to use as intermediate data so that I could create a relationship between two non-unique columns.

I created my list and added a remove duplicates step:

pbi1.png

I then went to create the relationship using this unique list but got the same error about non-unique values:

pbi2.png

Weird!   Spent some time retrying things and then after a bit of digging about noticed that even after applying the remove duplicates step I still had two values that looked the same.  Quick length check revealed this:

pbi3.png

Easy enough to resolve in this case but handy to note that the check for uniqueness that happens when you create a relationship differs from the one for removing duplicates.

Cheers

Mark

1 REPLY 1
rorromartins
Frequent Visitor

Mark, I'm having a similar issue regarding this topic.

In my case, I need to have these "duplicate" values (with extra spaces in some cases) because it links them to a dictionary that replaces that value with a correct value. (E.G. I have "HELLO SAM", "HELLO SAM ", "HELLO  SAM"(double spacing), "hello sam", "helo sam", and "hello sam!" and I want them all to show "Hello Sam").

But when I try to link this intermediate list to the Base and the Dictionaries I can't because the relationship manager considers some of these values as duplicates (The cases with double spacing between words or extra space at the end of the text).

My problem is that Remove Duplicates in query editor does not recognize them as duplicates (Wich is OK for me) but Relationship Manager sees them as duplicates and does not allow me to create the relationship.

Do you now of any workarrround to this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.