Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

radhika_r
Frequent Visitor

This step results in a query that is not supported in DirectQuery mode - From April 2024 version

Hi All,

1. I am getting the error "This step results in a query that is not supported in DirectQuery mode". From the April 2024 version of Power BI Desktop even in the source step without any of the transformations applied. And the relational database which I am using is Oracle.

For the custom SQL there is no such warning. Kindly help in resolving this issue. 

2. Also my version of Power BI desktop updates automatically without any kind of intervention from my end every month. My Peer has to manually do this. Kindly help in letting me know the steps/process to do updation automatically.

5 REPLIES 5
v-kaiyue-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @radhika_r ,

Here are some solutions to problems similar to yours that I hope will help you.

Solved: This step results in a query that is not supported... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Solved: this step results in a query that is not supported... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Solved: Error: "This step results in a query that is not s... - Power Platform Community (microsoft....

Best Regards,

Clara Gong

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-kaiyue-msft , thanks for the posts that you have shared, all of it in some way have some transformations involved(filtering the rows for the dates or renaming the columns), or that the view used is forcing to change it into import mode because of the transformations.

In my case, it's not forcing me to change into import mode(by forcing I mean, data will not be loaded unless the changes are applied saying"this query contains transformations that can't be used for direct query")  but I simply see the warning on the source step in the power query. Also, that the data is queried and loaded fine in the report.

v-kaiyue-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @radhika_r ,

Thanks to @audreygerred  for the reply, please allow me to provide another insight:

If you downloaded Power BI Desktop through the Microsoft Store, you can automatically update the software.

This is especially useful for users on Windows 10 and above, as automatic updates from the Microsoft Store will keep Power BI Desktop up to date without any manual intervention.

To ensure that Power BI Desktop updates automatically, follow these steps:

1.Open the Microsoft Store app on your computer.
2.Click on the three horizontal dots in the upper right corner of the app and select "Settings" from the drop-down menu.
3.Under "App updates," turn on the "Automatically update apps" option.

When this setting is enabled, Power BI Desktop will update to the latest version as soon as it becomes available.

This ensures that you always have access to the latest features and improvements without having to manually check for updates or download the latest installer from the Power BI website.

If your Current Period does not refer to this, please clarify in a follow-up reply.

Best Regards,

Clara Gong

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

audreygerred
Super User
Super User

Hello! Is your Oracle version 12c (12.1.0.2) or later or any version of Oracle Autonomous Database? Also, do you have the Oracle Client for Microsoft Tools installed? If your Oracle in on-prem, do you have the standard gateway installed and running?

Power Query Oracle database connector - Power Query | Microsoft Learn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @audreygerred and @v-kaiyue-msft , thanks for the response.

@audreygerred  - As you suggested, I have noted that ODAC is installed and configured. Also, I use Oracle version 12c (12.1.0.2)  or later and that the standard gateway is installed and running. The issue still does not seem to resolve. Kindly help in resolving this , if you have any other inputs! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.