Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jwidauer
Frequent Visitor

Table visualization not showing entries with blank measure in a column

Hi all,

I need your help with this weird issue I'm facing. I have a data model similar to the following:Capture.PNG

Which is filled with this data:

Capture.PNG

And now I want to display the "Projects[Project ID]", "ProjectManagers[Name]" and "Count of Purchases[ID]" in a table.

So basically this:

Capture.PNG

Where 

count_purchases = COUNTROWS(Purchases)

But, as you can see, it doesn't show project 4, since it doesn't have any purchases and therefore "count_purchases" is a blank.

I already tried:

count_purchases = COUNTROWS(Purchases) + 0

Which then shows all combinations of "Projects[Project ID]" and "ProjectManager[Name]" and looks like this:

Capture.PNG

Which is, obviously, not what I want as well.

I also tried:

count_purchases =
IF( NOT(ISEMPTY(Purchases)) ||
    ISEMPTY(Projects);
COUNTROWS(Purchases);
0)

Which does give me the expected result of:

Capture.PNG

But when using this with my bigger model, with more data, takes to long to compute and uses so much RAM, that it doesn't actually display the table anymore.

So my question is:

How would I be able to display zeros instead of blanks in such a table?

Thanks a lot in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @jwidauer,

I test using your sample table, please create calculated column rather than measure in Project Table using the formulas below.

ProjectManagerName = RELATED(ProjectManagers[Name])

CountPurchase = CALCULATE(COUNT(Purchases[Purchase ID]),RELATEDTABLE(Purchases))+0

1.PNG

Then create a table visual to display it as follows.

2.PNG

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Try the easiest thing first - is there an option in your visual to show items with no data?

Unfortunately not that I know of.

I'm just using the standard Table visualization that comes with Power BI Desktop.

Odd - in your values section, if you hit the drop down on Project ID I'd have expected an option to be there

Anonymous
Not applicable

WOW Thanks !!

Oh wow!
I totally missed that!

That's a lot better, but do you think it would be possible to show the blank as a "0"?

wrote:

Oh wow!
I totally missed that!

That's a lot better, but do you think it would be possible to show the blank as a "0"?

Try that +0 workaround you referenced in your original post

That, unfortunately, again shows all combinations of "Projects[Project ID]" and "ProjectManager[Name]", like this:

Capture.PNG

Hi @jwidauer,

It's hard to calculate the measure based on rules. For example, which name should be displayed when the count_purchases is 0?

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi @v-huizhn-msft,

So for me to be happy with the result, it would have to only show the combinations of "ProjectManagers[Name]" and "Project[ID]" where they have a relation e.g. the "Project[PM ID]" is equal to the "ProjectManagers[ID]".

From the measure standpoint, it should only display 0, if the "Project[ID]", "ProjectManagers[Name]" combination exists in the data.

I hope this clarifies a bit, what I want to do.

Hi @jwidauer,

I test using your sample table, please create calculated column rather than measure in Project Table using the formulas below.

ProjectManagerName = RELATED(ProjectManagers[Name])

CountPurchase = CALCULATE(COUNT(Purchases[Purchase ID]),RELATEDTABLE(Purchases))+0

1.PNG

Then create a table visual to display it as follows.

2.PNG

Best Regards,
Angelia

Outputting 0 fixes it for the table visual, but not if you are doing calculations on "BLANK" fields. The table visual should NOT hide values with BLANK() (NULL) values.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.