Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Table made with Distinct gives a many-to-many relationship when I expect a 1-to-many relationship

Table_1 and Table_2 both have a column containing the same information, let's call this area_column.
I can't link Table_1 and Table_2 because the area-column in both can have the same value repeated. So I created Table_3 with a column called Areas to give a list of unquie values from Table_1 using the following formula:

Areas = DISTINCT('Table_1'[area_column])

Now when I try to link the column Areas in Table_3 to the area_column in either Table_1or Table_2 I keept getting a message saying that this is a many-many relationship, which does not make sense to me as Table_3 is a list of unique values so surely it should be a 1-many relationship.

Any ideas why this might be the case and how to solve it? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , just if there null/blank value in these table, in that case, you will many to Many even if expect 1-M.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
manikumar34
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@Anonymous , Try to change the relationship manually. If it is not helping check the data if there is any repeated value.

Regards, 

Manikumar

If this helps, Appreciate your KUDOS!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , just if there null/blank value in these table, in that case, you will many to Many even if expect 1-M.

Hey - checked every row of both tables and no blanks. I removed blanks using this DAX here. Is there any other reason why PBI won't let me do One to Many?

Key_Table = FILTER( Distinct( UNION('Table1','table2','table3') ),'table1'[key]<>BLANK())

Anonymous
Not applicable

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.