Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

hmokkapati
Helper II
Helper II

TABLE.EXPANDTABLECOLUMN issue - does not work as expected when new column is added in data

Hello,

I have a source excel with week as headers. Every week a new column is added. So when Power BI Expands this table in the below code, the column names are hardcoded. Instead is there a way that the newly added column can be automatically taken care in the "Expanded Data" step and I do not have to hardcode the column numbers. 

#"Removed Other Columns2" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Expanded Custom",{"Data"}),
 #"Expanded Data" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns2", "Data", {"Column1", "Column2", "Column3", "Column4", "Column5", "Column6", "Column7", "Column8", "Column9", "Column10", "Column11", "Column12", "Column13", AND SO ON ............................."Column197", "Column198", "Column199", "Column200", "Column201", "Column202"}),

Weeks.PNG

Appreciate any pointers

Thank You,

Harisha

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello Lydia,

This has been solved. I actually rewrote the code as below to open the excel in a different way instead of doing ExpandTableColumns which would list down all the columns

//Fetch the file from Sharepoint Location
    Source = SharePoint.Files("<path of the Sharepoint folder>", [ApiVersion = 15]),
    #"Filtered Rows8" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each [Folder Path] = "<folder path>"),
    #"Filtered Rows5" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filtered Rows8", each ([Name] = "<file name>")),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Filtered Rows5",{"Content"}),

//code to expand the Data irrespective of column names
    #"Sheet1" = Excel.Workbook(#"Removed Other Columns"{0}[Content], null, true),
    #"Sheet1_Sheet" = #"Sheet1"{[Item="Sheet1",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],

in #"Sheet1_Sheet"

Thanks for offering to help.

Cheers,

Harisha

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @hmokkapati,

Could you please share  me the source Excel file so that I can reproduce?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Lydia,

This has been solved. I actually rewrote the code as below to open the excel in a different way instead of doing ExpandTableColumns which would list down all the columns

//Fetch the file from Sharepoint Location
    Source = SharePoint.Files("<path of the Sharepoint folder>", [ApiVersion = 15]),
    #"Filtered Rows8" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each [Folder Path] = "<folder path>"),
    #"Filtered Rows5" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filtered Rows8", each ([Name] = "<file name>")),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Filtered Rows5",{"Content"}),

//code to expand the Data irrespective of column names
    #"Sheet1" = Excel.Workbook(#"Removed Other Columns"{0}[Content], null, true),
    #"Sheet1_Sheet" = #"Sheet1"{[Item="Sheet1",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],

in #"Sheet1_Sheet"

Thanks for offering to help.

Cheers,

Harisha

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.