Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SianM
Frequent Visitor

Store measure output in new table

Hi, 

I am generating a set of averages for a data set that I want to store and use as static inputs to different visualisations. 

What is the best way for me to do this? Using calculated columns was becoming tedious because I need a number of them, but also it started triggering circular reference warnings as I generated a number using the same source column. 

I am trying to generate a portfolio average (basically the average of my whole data set - overtime), that I can generate using different filters and then store. I then want to plot this average on graphs that continue to have a dynamic average calculating based on the filters I am selecting (while the original portfolio average doesn't change when I filter).

Apologies if this is not clear. I also tried CALCULATEDTABLES, but couldn't get this to work either, doesn't work well with existing measures. Any suggestions? 

Thanks for your help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @SianM

Sorry. I was thinking that you were going to use a measure aggregate x measure (like sumx, countx, etc).  Summarize function actually accepts a measure as an argument.  So you could use

Summarizetest =
SUMMARIZE ( Raw1, Raw1[Milestone Status], "Average", [Dynamic Range] )

Alternatively, you can use GROUPBY() and CURRENTGROUP() functions.  Example:

Summarizetest =
GROUPBY (
    Raw1,
    Raw1[Milestone Status],
    "Average", AVERAGEX ( CURRENTGROUP (), [Dynamic Range] )
)

More about these two functions at https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/nested-grouping-using-groupby-vs-summarize/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@SianM,

How about you use SUMMARIZE function to create a new table containing the measure? If you have questions about the DAX, please  share sample data of your table and post expected result.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft,

Thank you for your help. I think the SUMMARIZE function will only allow me to use existing columns to create the new table?

I need to use calculated measures. I cannot store the output of these measures in the columns because I need so many that it ends up creating a circular reference warning in power BI as they all use report date as a common denominator. 

I am trying to store an average calculated for a whole portfolio cut different wants so I can then use them in my charts (screenshots below). 

In the image below, I have brought in data from a pivot table in excel, and also have calculated in PowerBI using measures (to check they are the same). I don't want to have to create all of the portfolio averages in pivot tables in excel and have to refresh these separately to power BI. 

The portfolio average is being caluclated as a measure, which I want to be used for two purposes in charts (see screenshot below)

1. stored for the total portfolio (all of the reports) in a different table

2. usable as a dynamic calculation in the charts as well that responds to filers. 

Is calculated as

• the sum of a count of rows (based on a filter selected)
  • the total number of reports included. For the total portfolio, this will be all of the reports as the distinct count of report dates in the data set.

DynamicAverage = SUM(Raw[CountMan])/[TotalReports]

These are the outputs I need stored as dataThese are the outputs I need stored as data

The image below provides an example of the chart I am trying to build. Baically, the red line shows the portfolio average (calcualted and stored as per above). I want this to stay constant as I maniuplate other filters around the chart. Therfore I need to store the portfolio average total as a data set for us in the charts. I need to do this for a number of charts with different aspects of portfolio average calculated. 

chart example.png

Hi @SianM,

You can use a combination of SUMMARIZE() and ADDCOLUMS() functions. Example:

=
ADDCOLUMNS (
    SUMMARIZE ( Table, Table[Column1], Table[Column2] ),
    "Column Name", [Measure]
)

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.

Hi @danextian,

Thank you so much! I am getting there with my result, however at the moment I am getting the total for each "group by" in the summarize function. This is giving me the same value for each 'category'. The category being the field I am 'grouping by' in my summarize function. 

Current Result

Current ResultCurrent Result

Do you know what the correct DAX is to make it calculate considering all of the categories? @v-yuezhe-msft maybe you can help me with summarize DAX?

Sorry I know this is probably very simple, I am very new to power BI. 

expected resultexpected result

Hi @SianM

Sorry. I was thinking that you were going to use a measure aggregate x measure (like sumx, countx, etc).  Summarize function actually accepts a measure as an argument.  So you could use

Summarizetest =
SUMMARIZE ( Raw1, Raw1[Milestone Status], "Average", [Dynamic Range] )

Alternatively, you can use GROUPBY() and CURRENTGROUP() functions.  Example:

Summarizetest =
GROUPBY (
    Raw1,
    Raw1[Milestone Status],
    "Average", AVERAGEX ( CURRENTGROUP (), [Dynamic Range] )
)

More about these two functions at https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/nested-grouping-using-groupby-vs-summarize/

Hi @danextian,

Thank you for pointing me in the direction of Addcolumns & GroupBy! Turns out summarize was not what was needed. I have managed to obtain the result I was looking for using a combination of the above. 

Thank you @v-yuezhe-msft for your help also, testing a few things really helped me understand more how both of these functions work. 

This has been a huge relief to finally get working. Thank you again for taking the time to assist me. Smiley Very Happy

Sian 

SianM
Frequent Visitor

I have a data set where I want to calculate an average across the entire portfolio (and store this), and then include it on charts that can be filtered down by country or date and show the new dynamic average, against the portfolio average.  The portfolio average I don't want to change when the filters are edited, so a measure is not sufficient. 

When I use a calculated columns I end up with circular reference errors because they all use a common columns (as I need a number of these comparisons).  

I am really new to powerBI so I am probably missing something obvious. What is the best way for me to store the output I have generated from a measure (maybe in a different table) and then use that for my reports? 

SianM
Frequent Visitor

Update - I have built them as table visualisations in PowerBI. Is it possible to just store these now as data source tables? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.