Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Stacked bar chart to depict a person's plan

Hi, 

I have the following data:

Index

Person

Activity

Start time

Duration (hours)

Bob

Home

0:00

Bob

Travel

7:00

Bob

Work

8:00

Bob

Travel

18:00

Bob

Home

19:00

Charlie

Home

0:00

Charlie

Shop

9:00

Charlie

Work

11:00

Charlie

Home

23:00

I'd like to create a stacked bar chart as follows:

The axis should be vertical, and based off 'Person', with the bars horizontal

Each stack should be based off 'Index' (i.e. one stack per row in the table)

Each stack should be of size 'Duration'

The stacks should be sorted by 'Start time'

The stacked should be coloured by 'Activity'

This will allow me to see each person's plan for the day so I can compare the two people easily and see what activities they have in common. 

Is this possible?

Thanks for the help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

If we use stacked bar chart and put the activity field as legend, it will sum the hours automatically by default. Also, legend column can only put one field so if we want to get it, we can just set the time or index as the legend and adjust the colors mannually in Data colors menu.

stacked.png

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous ,

Put the person on Axis and Activity on Legend and duration on the values.

If you sum up duration, use

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Chelsie-Eiden-s-Duration/m-p/793639#M389

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @amitchandak but this doesn't quite answer my question. 

Note that Bob travels twice, and is at home twice. What your suggestion will do is sum those together, and have only 3 stacks for Bob (i.e. one stack for home which sums the two home durations, one for travel which sums the two travel durations, and one for work). Instead I want 5 stacks for bob (i.e. one per row in the table) with the two 'home' and 'travel' activities split out separately. 

Any other ideas? 

Hi @elladahan ,

Perhaps so?

stacked bar chart.png

Use the stacked bar chart and add fields as shown in the image, you will have one hierarchy level, click to expand an entire level in the hierarchy

expamd stack bar.png

Best looks,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps, please consider Accepting it as the solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Maybe like this?

stacked bar chart.png

Use the stacked bar chart and add fields like the picture shows, it will have a hierarchy level, click to expand all down one level in the hierarchy

expamd stack bar.png

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @v-yingjl  that kind of works, but it's not the best visualisation as it doesn't allow a nice comparison between people. For example, I can't easily see the difference in people's working start/end times. 

I was hoping for something like this:

Stacked bar chart.PNG

I know this is possible to do in Tableau (sorry!) by having the stacks by ID (i.e. in 'Legend' you would use 'Index'), and then the colouring by Activity (currently the colouring is automatically based on the Legend categories in Power BI).

Any thoughts? 

Hi @Anonymous ,

If we use stacked bar chart and put the activity field as legend, it will sum the hours automatically by default. Also, legend column can only put one field so if we want to get it, we can just set the time or index as the legend and adjust the colors mannually in Data colors menu.

stacked.png

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @v-yingjl  that works for a small example dataset. However, in my dataset I have one million people, with up to 50 activities each, all starting at different times of day. The graph is of course filtered to subsets so I only view about 30 people at one time.

The data is updated periodically, therefore times and activities change all the time. Manually adjusting the colours is not going to be a viable option for this. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.