Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

dbeavon3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Slow Overwrite Publishing to the PBI Service

Does anyone know how to resolve slow overwrite publishing of datasets/reports? It does not seem that anyone has posted anything concerning this since 2020. The overwrite publishing of datasets/reports can take a long long time, but strangely this is not always true. The time this takes is very inconsistent. If it the dataset/report does not exist, the publish to the service is quick. When it is an overwrite publish it can take hours. What is causing this? Was it a new release that is casuing this? How can this be resolved?

5 REPLIES 5
VineethKasula

I'm facing the same issue, did you able to find something related to this ?

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dbeavon3 .

Any updates?

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

dbeavon3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi @v-eqin-msft ,

I don't think it is related to the size of the dataset, as you suggested.  As I mentioned, when dataset/report does not exist, the publish to the service is quick.  The dataset size is normally minimal. (under 100 MB).

Do you seriously believe it is worthwhile to test the roll back to an older version of PBI?  Even if that would make things faster, what would we do with the information?  Where would that take us?

I suspect that this is buggy behavior in the way that the overwrite publishing is implemented.  It probably has to do with obtaining some sort of resource lock, or re-establishing permissions, or re-establishing the gateway setup, or re-verifying the organizational account, or some other uninteresting internal plumbing.

... If there is no "obvious" reason for a long delay, then it seems that the Power BI support team should attempt to look into this.  IE. if the initial dataset publish operation took about 10 seconds, but overwrite publishing takes 5 minutes, then you would think this would indicate a problem.  Would you agree that it is worth opening a support ticket?  How likely is it that the product team would care about a 5 minute delay, with no obvious explanation?  Are these types of quality issues likely to be fixed these days, assuming we can find the root cause?

Please let me know.

Thanks, David

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dbeavon3 ,

Did you try @amitchandak 's suggestion to roll back to an older version of PBI to see if this issue is related to version?

And I think It may be related to the size of the dataset. Do you have any other PBIX file which has similar size? You can have another try with different file to see if it is file specific, or it is always slow during publishing large PBIX files.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@dbeavon3 , it takes a different time to replace every time, but not too much different.

If you start facing this last few days only, check the issue. It may because of Dec-2021 release  https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.