Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Cheezeduckies
Regular Visitor

Slicer to effect Slicer from unrelated data source

Is there a way to get a slicer to effect another slicer that came from a different data source? E.G if had three slicers from table A say Date, Name and Category, would it possible to have the option picked in each of these apply the same filters to the three slicers from Table B if they had the same fields (Date, Name and Category)? 

I am trying to avoid joining these tables as they contain many of the same columns so was trying to find workarounds and having slicers trasfer between the two tables would be useful.

3 REPLIES 3
audreygerred
Super User
Super User

Hi! Your model should be in a star schema format with fact(s) and dimensions. The fields that are the same between your two tables are dimensions (i.e. date, product name, etc.). Your fact tables should only have keys and values that you want to aggegate. The fact tables would connect to the dimension tables - then, if you filter to product name A from the product dim table, this would filter any fact table that is joined to that dim table. http://powerbiwithme.com/2023/07/30/the-star-schema-edition/ 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

hi, unfortunately in this case the only two tables I have are the two that share similar fields and they are both fact tables so I am not sure this will work in this case.

Hi @audreygerred ,thanks for the quick reply, I'll add further.

Hi @Cheezeduckies ,

Regarding your question, if there is no relationship established between tables. Then the filtering effect of the slicer is not passed.Suppose you want to filter two tables using the 'Date' column, you can create a linked table.

The Table data is shown below:

vzhouwenmsft_0-1716171879220.png

vzhouwenmsft_1-1716171900547.png

Please follow these steps:
1. Use the following DAX expression to create a table

Table = DISTINCT(UNION(VALUES('Table1'[Date]),VALUES('Table2'[Date])))

vzhouwenmsft_2-1716171944653.png

2.Create a new linked table in excel and connect it using Power BI Desktop.

vzhouwenmsft_3-1716172017472.png

3.Creating table-to-table relationships.

vzhouwenmsft_4-1716172081037.png

4.Final output

vzhouwenmsft_5-1716172122202.png

vzhouwenmsft_6-1716172135006.png

vzhouwenmsft_7-1716172150168.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.