Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

timvanharen

Slicer Field Quarter/months and days no longer accessible

Dear Power BI Community

The Issue:

With the new version of PowerBI (2.40.4554.421 64-bit ) it seems to be impossible to make an 'old school'  slicer with Months/Quarters and Days. 

What happends:

Once I make a slicer to access a date field like: 01-01-2016 I see the new date bar. There is a possibility to acces the old slicer field by left clicking on the arrow in the visualizations -> field option. However once I switch to Date Hierarchy I can only select 'year' and no longer access the Quarter, Month and Day options.

Even when i first make a table (they still do have the other date options) and I switch the visualization back to the slicer I still only have an option for years.

Workaround:

There is a possibility to add additional colomns to my dataset, however I prefer not to do so and work with the old slicer field options (and the new option too).

Older version reports still work with the slicers for Quarters/Months and Days.

Thank you in advance, 

Tim

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @timvanharen,

As per my knowledge, Date Hierarchy (Quarter, Month and Day) is not available in sclicer either the latest version or the earlier version. I have tested this scenario in the version as earlier as 2.33.4337.501 64-bit (March 2016), but it still doesn't support Date Hierarchy which including Quarter, Month and Day options, Year is the only option. 

I would suggest you sumbit this request as a wish to Microsoft at this page: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas. Your feedback is very valuable for us to improve the level of products and service. Appreciate for your understanding.

Thanks,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Dear Yuliana,

Thank you for your reply. The feature used to be available (with a minimal work-around).

How to get the slicer with months (old version) - no addons/data edits:

1. Select a matrix.

2. Select the date from the source.

3. remove the date hierargy except for the one you need (for example 'month')

4. change the matrix visialization to slicer.

Below I've added what this looks like. You can see the old visualizations remain functional, however this can no longer be reproduced. (for privacy reasons I've hidden the data fields and I can not share the actual file.)

powerbi call.jpg

I also agree that this used to work and have an existing PowerBI Dashboard using a 'Month' Date Hierarchy slicer.

IT seems a backwards step to remove this functionality as it would surely be quite a common expectation.

I'm going to try adding a customer reference table for months of the year as I also want my slicer sorted in correct month order.

Hi @timvanharen,

I have tested the workaround you mentioned, it really doesn't work in PowerBI (2.40.4554.421 64-bit ). The product team may removed this behavior in the update release for some reasons. And now you have to create additional colomns to get the Date Hierarchy (Quarter, Month and Day options) which can be added to a sclicer.

Thanks,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.