Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

DerecG
Frequent Visitor

Simple table filtering with a number string

Hello!

First off, I wanted to say that this community forum has been an invaluable resource for me the last few months workiing with PowerBI. Thank you to all the contributors!

I need to do a very simple advanced filter on a visual that returns the specified values from a column. The colum contains thousands of unique ID's. I simply need to filter for a string of these unique numbers. There are around 400 of them, so the slicer or basic filter / selection boxes method would be undesirable, and the advanced filter "and" "or" does not allow for strings.  It seems simple enough, but I can't seem to figure out a solution. It would take me hours to select every box, and the risk of error is incredibly high. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Import your list into another table and form a relationship between the tables? Then, when you use the list of id's from this new table, you should automatically filter out everything you want.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Import your list into another table and form a relationship between the tables? Then, when you use the list of id's from this new table, you should automatically filter out everything you want.

Latest book!:

That worked well. I connected the two tables and used a hidden slicer with seclect all button. Thank you for the quick response. I've read about a hundered of your other solutions previously. You've been a huge help to me in many areas while figuring out PowerBI. Thanks!

Awesome! Glad to help!

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.