Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

chat_peters
Helper III
Helper III

Several workspaces with the same semantic model-How to create a single master model (or dataset)

Hi,

I have 100 different workspaces with the same semantic model (workspace isolation model for power bi embedded) I want to create one master model to look across the 100 published reports. 

How can I do this? If I can't combine several semantic models is there a way to create a model by combining data tables in these models. the semantic models in each workspace are identical. We need different workspaces because we follow the workpsace isolation model for security.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiandat-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @chat_peters ,

Golden Dataset Concept:
A golden dataset represents a unified, high-quality version of your data that serves as the single source of truth. It consolidates information from various sources, ensuring consistency and accuracy.
The goal is to create a single dataset that can be used across different workspaces or reports, reducing redundancy and maintenance efforts.
Modern Approach:
The traditional method involved duplicating datasets across workspaces. However, a more effective approach is to use shared datasets.
Here’s how it works:
Publish your Golden Dataset to a dedicated Golden Workspace.
Create a new thin workbook (report) pointing to the Golden Dataset.
Publish this thin workbook to other workspaces.
Power BI automatically manages the link back to the Golden Dataset for you

Below is the link will help you:

exceleratorbi.com.au

What is Golden Dataset in ML & PowerBI? (Answered) (dataresident.com)

Best Regards,

Xianda Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-xiandat-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @chat_peters ,

Golden Dataset Concept:
A golden dataset represents a unified, high-quality version of your data that serves as the single source of truth. It consolidates information from various sources, ensuring consistency and accuracy.
The goal is to create a single dataset that can be used across different workspaces or reports, reducing redundancy and maintenance efforts.
Modern Approach:
The traditional method involved duplicating datasets across workspaces. However, a more effective approach is to use shared datasets.
Here’s how it works:
Publish your Golden Dataset to a dedicated Golden Workspace.
Create a new thin workbook (report) pointing to the Golden Dataset.
Publish this thin workbook to other workspaces.
Power BI automatically manages the link back to the Golden Dataset for you

Below is the link will help you:

exceleratorbi.com.au

What is Golden Dataset in ML & PowerBI? (Answered) (dataresident.com)

Best Regards,

Xianda Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for responding back. If I am understanding correctly, I still need to create one model from all the models across the workspaces and call this my golden dataset. My question is how do I do that? I have the same model using the same tables across 100 workspaces because we use workspace isolation model for stricter data controls. Lets say each of these workspaces represent a different customer. They're basically looking at the same report but just with their data.

Let's say customers are A through Z and I have 26 workspaces. Let's also say the only fact table in each of these workspaces is Fact_sales and I want to look across all 26 customers fact tables to do some benchmarking. My question is how do I create that one fact table combining all 26 fact tables in 26 different workspaces, in the power bi service?

chat_peters
Helper III
Helper III

@amitchandak This is what we have right now. Our problem is how do we get one dataset out of the 100 workspaces.

How do we combine these models/tables and create one golden model?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@chat_peters , The ideal way is create report like

Create a model and publish the file without visual

Not Connect live with the model and create a report in a new pbix file.

In this manner, you can use the same model to create multiple reports across workspaces.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.