Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Clampazzo
Helper I
Helper I

Setup Row Level Security to work with an SSAS Multidimensional Cube connected via Power BI Embedded

We have an old SSAS MD Cube that is currently being rewritten.  However, in the meantime I need to point Power BI at the existing cube and setup RLS on it so that end users can get the correct information when they logon to the embedded workspace.  I have found information that suggests I should import the cube and setup the RLS once the data has been imported.  However, the issue with that is the cube is large (14 gig).  So I would prefer to connect to it via a live connection.

Is it possible to feed the data back through Power BI to the cube on SSAS so that the RLS will work properly?  I have found articles regarding this with SSAS Tabular Models but nothing so far on Multidimensional.  Would the tabular model work similarily to MD?

3 REPLIES 3
foodd
Super User
Super User

@Clampazzo , @TomMartens is spot on.   Hoping this goes smoothly for you and your folks.

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Clampazzo ,

you can't implement RLS on top of a live-connected SSAS Multidimensional, instead you have to implement roles inside the SSAS Cube: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/analysis-services/multidimensional-models/roles-and-permissions-an...

Importing, next to the size, you have to investigate if exisiting measures have to rebuild after data is imported.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hi @TomMartens  and @foodd , Can you tell me how this would work if the PBI Dashboard is embedded?  Currently we have a role setup for the company id that is sent via a connection string to the cube.  But since users will be using the Power BI Dashboard how would their security be passed back to the cube? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.