Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Mattys31
Regular Visitor

Select with slicer, then inverse select from using another slicer

Hi all,

First post, so please be gentle.

I have a products table and a customers table. One to many join between customers and products, ie a single customer can have more than one product.

The field "level 1 product" is the highest level in the product hierarchy.

I have a disconnected table containing all the values of the level 1 product.

I would like to be able to select a product in a slicer based on Level 1 product in the main product table, to see how many customers have that product.

Then i want to be able to select a product from the disconnected table and show customers from the previous filter who DON'T have that product.

for example:

Products table

Customer Id | Product

1                   | Car

1                   | Boat

2                   | Car

2                   | Boat

2                   | House

3                   | Boat

disconected table created as dt = values(Product);

Slicers created for Products[Product] and dt[Product]

I want to filter the products table for customers with a car using the Products[Product] slicer, leaving me with 2 customers.

I would then want to use the dt[Product] filter to REMOVE customers who don't have a house, leaving only customer number 1 who has a car, but no house.

I have tried using calculate(DISTINCTCOUNT(Products[CUSTOMER ID]),EXCEPT(ALL(Products[Product]),VALUES(dt[Product])))

which shows me just customers who don't have a house in my example, as I'm using ALL.

I would then want to reapply the original filter to show customers who don't have a house, but do have a car.

Hope that makes some sense!

Any help would be gratefully received!

Thanks

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Mattys31 ,

Please add a measure.

And another table without relationships with other tables.

slicer 2 = VALUES('product'[product])
Measure 3 = var _1=SELECTEDVALUE('slicer 2'[product])
var _2=CALCULATE(MAX('product'[customer id]),FILTER(ALL('product'),[Measure]<>BLANK()&&'product'[product]=_1&&'product'[customer id]=SELECTEDVALUE('product'[customer id])))
return
IF(_2=BLANK()&&[Measure]<>BLANK(),1,0)

vpollymsft_0-1671087804700.png

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Mattys31 ,

I have created a simple sample, please refer to it to see if it helps you.

Create a table with product column.

Then create 2 measures.

Measure = 
var _2=CALCULATE(MAX('product'[customer id]),FILTER(ALL('product'),'product'[product]=SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[product])&&'product'[customer id]=SELECTEDVALUE('product'[customer id])))
return _2
Measure 2 = var _2=CALCULATE(MAX('product'[customer id]),FILTER(ALL('product'),'product'[product]=SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[product])&&'product'[customer id]=SELECTEDVALUE('product'[customer id])))
return 
IF(_2=BLANK(),1,0)

Then filter the measure 2 is 1.

vpollymsft_0-1671084618242.png

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Polly,

This seems like it's almost there but i need 2 slicers, 1 to select a product, then another to exclude a product from customers who have the product selected in the first slicer. So in your example, selecting boat shows only customers without a boat, which is correct, but I'd like to see customers who DO have a boat but dont have a house. In my example, I would want to choose customers with a car on one slicer, meaning customer numbers 1 and 2, and then filter that result for customers who don't have a house by selecting house from another slicer, which would return only customer 1.

So in steps,

1) select car from slicer 1

Returns customers 1 and 2.

2) Select house from slicer 2

Filters the rows returned from slicer 1 and REMOVES customers who don't have the selection in slicer 2, so returns customer 1 only.

Hope that's clearer!

Thanks

Matt

Hi @Mattys31 ,

Please add a measure.

And another table without relationships with other tables.

slicer 2 = VALUES('product'[product])
Measure 3 = var _1=SELECTEDVALUE('slicer 2'[product])
var _2=CALCULATE(MAX('product'[customer id]),FILTER(ALL('product'),[Measure]<>BLANK()&&'product'[product]=_1&&'product'[customer id]=SELECTEDVALUE('product'[customer id])))
return
IF(_2=BLANK()&&[Measure]<>BLANK(),1,0)

vpollymsft_0-1671087804700.png

Best Regards

This is great, Thanks Polly... 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.