Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Solido

Select a range of data

Hi experts 😊,

I have a big question about data selction.. 

I have developed several reports relating to sales and purchases. Many of these have Products or Customers as a filter, for example. In many contexts it would be useful to be able to select a range of products (for example those starting with the letter C and then from P to Z). In Excel this selection is very simple: just press the Shift key and then select the data range, then Ctrl key and Shif again, on Power BI I was unable to find an alternative.

I hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance 

4 REPLIES 4
Solido

@Daniel29195 ,

no unfortunately there are no rules. These are daily needs that vary from time to time.
Often the initial letters indicate a product group and this is why my customers want to select many products.
Another example could be this: I have a filter that contains the top 1000 customers and today I want to select the top 100.
In any program, a shortcut is enough (even in gmail: if I want to delete the latest emails Ijust press shift).
I was hoping there was a simple way that didn't introduce other formulas... I also tried searching for other types of filters in the store but I didn't find useful filters for me.

Thanks in advance

Daniel29195
Super User
Super User

@Solido 

can you share an example of what you mean ? 

@Daniel29195 of course,

PBI.JPG

in this case I have a Sales report divided by customer and for each customer I show the value of the items sold. Often my customers ask me to select a specific range of items. For example I want to select all the items whose code starts with ASC11. If there are many items, individual selection becomes impossible. On Excel you can simply click on the ASC1137PEL product, press Shift, and then click on the ASC1194CEE product. I hope I explained it well. 😊

@Solido 

if there is a pattern,

you can create w calculated column in the table where: 

new caluclatedtable = left (tabl_name[col_name]) ,5) 

this will create a column with the first 5 lettters of you column: 

col : 
asc11

then you can filter base on this column,

is this a possible solution ?  or is it that you dont alwaus want to have the first 5 letters ? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.