Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

dmq147
Regular Visitor

Running total doesn't add up

Hello, I'm really new to Power BI, I'm trying to display the running total of distinct values broken down by months. 

Here's what I have, it's some mock data, just some dates and email addresses. As you can see the email 'mpridmore9@ehow.com' is the only email repeated, it shows up 3 times across 2 months

dmq147_0-1711645240402.png

I've added a measure

Distinct Email Count = DISTINCTCOUNT(MOCK_DATA[email])

and a running total measure

Distinct Email Running Total = 
CALCULATE(
	[Distinct Email Count],
	FILTER(
		ALLSELECTED('Calendar2'),
		'Calendar2'[YearMonth] <= MAX('Calendar2'[YearMonth])
	)
)

The table below seems to show the correct values for the "Distinct Email Count" measure, however for the "Distinct Email Running Total" measure, I'd expect the month 2 to be 9 and not 8. I'm guessing my formula is wrong as it seems to be giving me the entire distinct count in month 2 instead of (3+6)=9

dmq147_1-1711645493600.png

Any help for a newbie would be greatly appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Wilson_
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi dmq147,

As you noted, one of the emails shows up in both months. Therefore, if you look at both months as a whole for your running total calculation for YearMonth of 2024-03, there are only 8 distinct emails. Your DAX is doing exactly what you're asking it to do.

What you're looking for though is to treat each month as a distinct entity, then add those together. Something like this should work:

VAR SelYearMonth = MAX ( 'Calendar2'[YearMonth] )
VAR YearMonths =
FILTER (
   ALLSELECTED ( 'Calendar2'[YearMonth] ),
   'Calendar2'[YearMonth] <= SelYearMonth
)
VAR Result =
SUMX (
    YearMonths,
    [Distinct Email Count]
)

RETURN Result

----------------------------------
If this post helps, please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it quickly. Also, don't forget to hit that thumbs up and subscribe! (Oh, uh, wrong platform?)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
dmq147
Regular Visitor

Thanks so much, just tested this now and it works but also it makes sense to me why it works

Perfect, thanks for letting me know, @dmq147. Happy to help with your problem and to explain why you're seeing the original result. 😄

Wilson_
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi dmq147,

As you noted, one of the emails shows up in both months. Therefore, if you look at both months as a whole for your running total calculation for YearMonth of 2024-03, there are only 8 distinct emails. Your DAX is doing exactly what you're asking it to do.

What you're looking for though is to treat each month as a distinct entity, then add those together. Something like this should work:

VAR SelYearMonth = MAX ( 'Calendar2'[YearMonth] )
VAR YearMonths =
FILTER (
   ALLSELECTED ( 'Calendar2'[YearMonth] ),
   'Calendar2'[YearMonth] <= SelYearMonth
)
VAR Result =
SUMX (
    YearMonths,
    [Distinct Email Count]
)

RETURN Result

----------------------------------
If this post helps, please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it quickly. Also, don't forget to hit that thumbs up and subscribe! (Oh, uh, wrong platform?)

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.