Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

willia93
Regular Visitor

Retrieve all values from another table, where two acct numbers match.

Hi,

First post, and looking for an answer but also trying to see if I am wasting time using wrong tool, and maybe a better direction to head to.  I am using Power Query editor and table merge to try to solve this but I don't think it is possible.

I have an table with accounts and an 1 id on them, I need to compare seperate table, a master table, and retrieve all the id's associated with the accounts on the 1 id table.  I need to create a seperate table linking two tables so acct 100 has red, and then also blue and orange.

Also if the account only has one color I would like to differeniate that but I could just do that in excel if I get the first part done.

First table

acctid
100red
101green
102purple

Second table

acctid
100red
100blue
100orange
101green
101black
102purple

I could do this in excel but I would like to stay in PowerBI and learn the tool that would do this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@willia93 I'm not clear on the use case here, but seems like you would be better off using DAX to achieve this? Maybe not even DAX, just create a relationship between your 2 tables in the model and you could achieve this with a slicer and a table visual.

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @willia93 ,

What expected results do you want? You can provide me with the corresponding expected results based on your sample data. I'm glad to help.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@willia93 I'm not clear on the use case here, but seems like you would be better off using DAX to achieve this? Maybe not even DAX, just create a relationship between your 2 tables in the model and you could achieve this with a slicer and a table visual.

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

It would me a many to many relationship cardinality, would this be an issue. Always been scared to create them because PowerBI doesn't reccomend it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.