Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

greg_r

Restrict Date Hierarchy in Chart

I have attendance data for a school board where the year runs from September 2023 to June 2024. I like the drill down feature of date hierarchies however when I apply to the x-axis of a plot it includes all dates from 2023 and 2024. I appears that this is automatic as there are no data from January to August 2023. Is there a way to use the date hierarchies but restict to a school year?

greg_r_0-1708694772831.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ok @greg_r  I will need to have some more information in order to help you. 
What type of field are you using for the y-axis? Is it a measure or a column? If it is a measure or a calculated column, can you provide the DAX? Maybe the values are not really blank but 0....

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
timalbers
Advocate V
Advocate V

Hi @greg_r 

can you make sure, that when right-clicking on your Date Hierachy field in the x-axis section the option "Show items with no data" is turned off? This should solve the problem.

And the table that's being used as the x-axis only contains data from 2023-09-01 to 2025-08-31.  

Ok @greg_r  I will need to have some more information in order to help you. 
What type of field are you using for the y-axis? Is it a measure or a column? If it is a measure or a calculated column, can you provide the DAX? Maybe the values are not really blank but 0....

It's a measure that was adding 0 (often used in other circumstances where stakeholders want to see the zeros). I removed that part of DAX and it corrected. 

Thank you for your time and quick response!

You're welcome, I am glad it works now.
I would apprechiate it, if you marked my answer as solution, thank you!

Have a nice weekend!

Yes, it's turned off., 

greg_r_0-1708695899844.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.