Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

win_anthony
Resolver III
Resolver III

Removing Last Delimiter from Each Row

The goal is to remove the last comma delimiter of each row. Some rows have one item and is finalized with a comma delimiter. Some rows have multiple items separated by comma delimiters. But all rows have a comma as the final character. 

Any advice on how to remove the last comma delimiter of each row is greatly appreciated. Below is sample data for context. 

Current Output (notice the last comma of each row)

Test_Data
Black,
Black, White, Red,
Blue, Orange,
Green, Blue, Black, Red, Orange,

Expected Output 

Test_Data
Black
Black, White, Red
Blue, Orange
Green, Blue, Black, Red, Orange
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@win_anthony Use the Transform tab. Extract, text before delimiter. Use comma as delimiter and From the end of input and 0.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcspJTM7WUYrVgTEVwjMyS1J1FIJSU2DCpUCuf1FiXnoqRMS9KDU1T0cBIgHVBVKOUBQLAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Test_Data = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Test_Data", type text}}),
    #"Extracted Text Before Delimiter" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Changed Type", {{"Test_Data", each Text.BeforeDelimiter(_, ",", {0, RelativePosition.FromEnd}), type text}})
in
    #"Extracted Text Before Delimiter"

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@win_anthony Use the Transform tab. Extract, text before delimiter. Use comma as delimiter and From the end of input and 0.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcspJTM7WUYrVgTEVwjMyS1J1FIJSU2DCpUCuf1FiXnoqRMS9KDU1T0cBIgHVBVKOUBQLAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Test_Data = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Test_Data", type text}}),
    #"Extracted Text Before Delimiter" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Changed Type", {{"Test_Data", each Text.BeforeDelimiter(_, ",", {0, RelativePosition.FromEnd}), type text}})
in
    #"Extracted Text Before Delimiter"

Follow on LinkedIn
Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler omg I feel so stupid bc I totally knew that. Regardless, thank you for your advice.

@win_anthony No worries! You shouldn't feel stupid, we all forget stuff we have learned at some point! Happens to me all the time!

Follow on LinkedIn
Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.