Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Relationship Structures

Hello,

I have many tables in a report. The tables are structured supposed to follow a star schema build.

Relationship structure:

jfeddes_0-1656008948982.png

All tables have Cross Filter Direction set to "both". The idea is to follow a star schema build. However, I am running into this issue:

I want the main table (gwp_forecast_master) to be the center of my star. But, I need time-smart relationships as well. So, I added a second "star" (Calendar) to center as the time intelligence table. Obviously, this ruins my star schema makeup.

I am a bit confused, and know I can do something better. I am running into all sorts of issues since only my main table can have an active relationship with the Calendar table directly.

Any tips/tricks/suggestions?

Thanks,

Joel

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

I'd like to suggest you use the date function to manually define the calculated date ranges in your expression.
It does not require an additional calendar table and it can simply to customize and nested with other filters in DAX expressions. (time intelligence functions do not support these)

Time Intelligence "The Hard Way" (TITHW)  
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Having bi-directional relationships is not a good idea

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I want my tables to be wise to the distributor relationships, as well as the dates of the data. So, how can I connect my tables so they are intelligent to both facets?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.