Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Sileye
Regular Visitor

Relations between dimension table

I have a fact table and several dimension tables where one column is common to all these tables. I use a slicer to filter the data in the fact table but I also want to filter the values in the dimension tables.

For example, a row will not have the same name depending on the filter value selected.

In the modeling, I tried to establish the necessary links but they lead to indirect relationships.

Do you have any ideas on how to achieve this?

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Ok, so create the measure I posted in my first reply and use it to filter all the slicers.

BTW, you have many-to-many relationships which should be avoided

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Sorry, I'm not following. Do you only have one dimension table?

Paul on Linkedin.

I have several dimension table which are linked with my fact table
and there is one (DOC) that should allow me to filter the fact table but also the other dimension tables using a selection with the column ID_DOC (present in all these tables).

Capture.PNG

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

A simple way is to use a measure to filter other dimension tables based on a selection. The model should have relationships between each dimension table and the fact table in a one-to-many type relationship (in other words, avoid bi-directional and do not create relationships between dimension tables).

Create a measure to use as a filter:

FIlter Dim Tables =
COUNTROWS ( RELATEDTABLE ( 'Fact Table' ) )

Add this measure to as a filter in the filter pane for each dimension table and set the value to "greater or equal" to 1.

Paul on Linkedin.

Thanks for your answer @PaulDBrown ,

In fact the dimension tables I want to filter have no visual (so can I still use a measure?), they just allow to dynamically determine the name of the rows and columns of my fact table.

In this case, I want to use the DOC table in a slicer to filter data in my fact table but also the COL IDs which will determine the column names of the data according to the chosen DOC.

DOC
X
Y

COLDOCID
AX1
AY2

I can do this by linking the DOC table to these other tables but obviously could not create a relationship between the other dimension table (COL - top -) and my fact table (bottom) as shown in the example below

Capture.PNG

Thanks,

Sileye

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.