Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

alee5210
Helper I
Helper I

RANKX Using A Parameter

Hello everyone, I am trying to use a parameter with the RANKX function. The situation is like the below

I have 3 tables

1. 'Store' - A lookup table which matches one value to another. There is a relationshiop between this table and Table 3 below linking the store names. There are around 100 stores.

Store Anonymous Name Store Real Name
Store AAA Store Alabama
Store BBB Store Birchgrove
Store CCC Store California

2. 'Store Param' - A parameter which uses Table 1 so I can switch between the 2 values from Table 1. Not all people will have access to the real store names but all people will have access to the anonymous store names which is why I have created this parameter.

The code is:

Store Parameter = {
    ("Store Anonymous Name", NAMEOF('Store'[Store Anonymous Name]), 0),
    ("Store Real Name", NAMEOF('Store'[Store Real Name]), 1)}

The table looks like

Store Parameter Parameter Order
Store Anonymous Name Store[Store Anonymous Name]0
Store Real Name Store[Store Real Name]1

3. 'Figures' - A table which has all my numbers which I use to sum/average. There is a relationship between table 1 and this one linking the store names.

Store Anonymous Name Date TransactionsItems Sold
Store AAA 01/01/2024 30 38
Store AAA 02/01/2024 23 42
Store AAA 03/01/2024 18 40
Store AAA 04/01/2024 21 39
Store AAA 05/01/2024 26 44
Store BBB 01/01/2024 17 47
Store BBB 02/01/2024 30 37
Store BBB 03/01/2024 27 33
Store BBB 04/01/2024 7 32
Store BBB 05/01/2024 22 46
Store CCC 01/01/2024 22 38
Store CCC 02/01/2024 26 31
Store CCC 03/01/2024 13 43
Store CCC 04/01/2024 30 43
Store CCC 05/01/2024 25 43

I have a chart bar chart which shows the number of sales per store where I've used the parameter for the store. As mentioned earlier, this is done beacuse some people can only see the anonymous store name and others can see the real store name. At the moment I can sort it by sales or alphabetical by store.

I want to sort it by which store has the highest number of items sold. I have found I can do this by using a measure like the one below and then putting it into the tooltip but this only works when not using the parameter.

Store Rank By Items Sold = rankx(allselected('Figures'[Store Anonymous Name]), calculate(sum('Figures'[Items Sold])))

Is there a way to make this work using the parameter so that no matter if users have access to he anonymous store name or real store name, the chart is ranked correctly?

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@alee5210 , if you sort on sol measure, it should remain on that.

If you want to switch rank based on field parameter selection, refer

Switch TOPN with Field Parameters: https://amitchandak.medium.com/switch-topn-with-field-parameters-299a0ae3725f

You can use Rank as Var or measure to switch

If you want keep sorting on Store/Axis, when you switch, use this

Power BI Field Parameters, Keep Axis Sort intact| Always Sort on X/Categorial Axis: https://youtu.be/GfBrB6czByw

I assume you mean if I sort on the 'Store Rank By Items Sold' measure it should stay like that? But it does not, because in my chart I am using the parameter rather than the Figures'[Store Anonymous Name] field.

Also I am not looking to do top N, I want all stores to be in the data. Will this still be an option if the date range has been cut and there are very few stores but my top N says top 50 stores? Will there be a lot of blanks left over?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.