Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

arinyc
Helper I
Helper I

Projection of future income based on payment maturity (cumulative and non-cumulative)

I’ve developed a Power BI model containing an Invoice table. Customers can settle their bills through equal monthly instalments. The table includes a column indicating the number of approved instalments (monthly installment amount is total amount divided by the number of instalments). Now, I’d like to display the projected future income based on upcoming instalments due for collection. To achieve this, I’ve set up a Date table using the next DAX code:

Date = 
VAR LastInvoiceDate = MAX('Invoices'[Datum racuna])
VAR MaxInstallment = MAX('Invoices'[Broj rata])
VAR MaxDate = EDATE(LastInvoiceDate, MaxInstallment - 1)
RETURN
    CALENDAR(MIN('Invoices'[Datum racuna]), MaxDate)

Then I created new table named "Monthly Installments" using this code:

Monthly Installments = 
GENERATE(
    'Invoices',
    ADDCOLUMNS(
        GENERATESERIES(1, 'Invoices'[Broj rata]),
        "InstallmentDueDate", EDATE('Invoices'[Datum racuna], [Value] - 1),
        "MonthlyPayment", 'Invoices'[Invoice amount] / 'Invoices'[Broj rata]
    )
)

Finally, I create a measure named "Total Future Income" in the "Monthly Installments" table:

Total Future Income (Cumulative) = SUMX('Monthly Installments', [MonthlyPayment])

I’ve received the expected future income as a cumulative amount. For instance, in January 2025, there’s an outstanding amount of EUR 1000 - based on due installments, followed by EUR 1500 due in February 2025, and EUR 2000 due in March 2025. The cumulative projected income looks like this:

January 2025: 1000 + 1500 + 2000
February 2025: 1500 + 2000
March 2025: 2000

However, I’d like my future income projection to display only the amounts due for the current month in the following format:

January 2025: 1000
February 2025: 1500

I tried this measure, but still have cumulative amount as the result:

Total Future Income = 
VAR SelectedMonth = SELECTEDVALUE('Date'[Date]) 
RETURN
    SUMX(
        FILTER('Monthly Installments', 'Monthly Installments'[InstallmentDueDate] = SelectedMonth),
        'Monthly Installments'[MonthlyPayment]
    )

Any idea how to calculate amounts due for each month separately?

If you want to use my Power BI model, you can download it from here (Google Drive link).

Best

1 REPLY 1
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @arinyc ,

What's the calculation logic? Could you please explain it base on your data in pbix file? Why the expected values for January 2025, February 2025 and March 2025 as below?

January 2025: 1000
February 2025: 1500

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.