Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SergiPlanell

Problem adding a new column

I am having a problem adding a new column to a table 
If I add a new column and use some trivial formula for it (For example NewColumn = 7) it works.
When I try to use the code I need, PBI desktop seem to reject the code and the formula remains blank. However, the code seems to be OK, because if a modify an existing column using this same code, it is accepted and the results are OK.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
v-xuxinyi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SergiPlanell 

In order to help you better if your problem is not solved yet, I need to know what is your data connection mode? If it is direct query mode, it will have some limitations, For more details, you can read related document link: 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-about#modeling-limitatio... 

Best Regards,
Yulia Xu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

SergiPlanell

Hi @Idrissshatila

Not sure what can I share to show you what is happening. Are you asking for uploading the Power BI data model? Don't see how this can be done.

The calculated column I try to add to my model is quite simple. It is just a SWITCH function involving another column and a measure. It works if I replace the code in an existing column but doesn't work if try to use in a new column. 

Thank you for the help. 

Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @SergiPlanell ,

can you share with us your code with a sample data or a screenshot so we could see why this is happening to you.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.