Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Khalidinho
Regular Visitor

PowerQuery Append and DAX Union are not updating data

Hello,

I have 5 identical tables but different categories and teams in Excel. When I Import them, They update normally when refreshing and all data are up-to-date. However, My problem is when I combine these tables into one table using Append in PowerQuery or Union in DAX it works for a few days then it stops and refuses to update, and keeps showing outdated data despite the individual tables being up-to-date.

The frustrating part is when I reference or duplicate the Appended table in PoweQuery it shows the up-to-date data. Also, the same for Union when I create a new table and copy the exact DAX formula, it just loads fine.

I just don't understand why the original combined tables refuse to update the data. I tried to uninstall and re-install Power BI and Clear Chache but no luck

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Rena,

Thanks for your reply.

• The answer to your first question "Is there any error with those 5 identical tables in Power Query Editor?" is No, All of them are working fine and updating without any problem.
  • Refreshing Preview Also is working.
  • Deleting the appended table and then re-append will fix it as I mentioned before in the topic even if I duplicate or use it as a reference will make it work. But this approach will break all relationships and visuals.
  • This Issue happened similarly to Union function in DAX and will work fine if I copy the same formula and make a new table. The original Union refuses to update.
  • I haven't tried to revert to an older version and I don't know how. I always download the latest version from MS Store and faced the same issue on two laptops

My current workaround temporary solution, I make all calculated columns and measures on a separate table by referencing the appended table whether it's done by PowerQuery or DAX. Whenever the updating is broken, I just make a new Append and change its reference from the table that contains all columns and measures to break relationships.

Regards

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
tharunkumarRTK
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@Khalidinho 

By any chance did you diable "Include in report Refresh" ?
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-include-in-report-refresh#excluding-...

If the post helps please give a thumbs up

If it solves your issue, please accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Tharun

Hi tharunkumarRTK, It's already enabled

@tharunkumarRTK Thanks for your contribution on this thread.

Hi @Khalidinho ,

Base on your description, it sounds like you're having trouble with PowerQuery Append not updating data. However, it works before. And you tried the following methods, but still not working.

• Enable the option "Include in report Refresh"
  • Clear cache
  • Reinstall Power BI Desktop

In order to make further troubleshooting, could you please check and try the following method?

• Is there any error with those 5 identical tables in Power Query Editor?
  • Refresh

vyiruanmsft_0-1715159038815.png

• Delete the append table then re-append, check if the new append table include the up-to-date data
  • Revert the version of Power BI Desktop back to a older version (for examle: March version), and open the pbix file in this older version Power BI Desktop. Later check if it can display the up-to-date data in the append table

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Rena,

Thanks for your reply.

• The answer to your first question "Is there any error with those 5 identical tables in Power Query Editor?" is No, All of them are working fine and updating without any problem.
  • Refreshing Preview Also is working.
  • Deleting the appended table and then re-append will fix it as I mentioned before in the topic even if I duplicate or use it as a reference will make it work. But this approach will break all relationships and visuals.
  • This Issue happened similarly to Union function in DAX and will work fine if I copy the same formula and make a new table. The original Union refuses to update.
  • I haven't tried to revert to an older version and I don't know how. I always download the latest version from MS Store and faced the same issue on two laptops

My current workaround temporary solution, I make all calculated columns and measures on a separate table by referencing the appended table whether it's done by PowerQuery or DAX. Whenever the updating is broken, I just make a new Append and change its reference from the table that contains all columns and measures to break relationships.

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.