Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

thinkpad
Regular Visitor

Power Query filters and Parameters

Hi Team,

I have a small doubt. i.e 

I applied the parameters in power query by adding the Canada country as parameter and then in power bi desktop i can see only Canada data it's fine. But the same thing i  can achieve without using parameter also ryt? by filtering the countries in power query ui and achieve the same result. I need to understand the usage of parameter here. without using also i can filter it in power query and same data will be displayed in power bi destkop. appreciate your help @lbendlin , @Greg_Deckler 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Parameters can me modifed from outside the semantic model. Filters can only be modified inside the semantic model.  That makes parameters useful for CI/CD etc.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

What are you ultimately trying to achieve?

I'm trying to understand the difference here b/w Parameters and filters at power query. for me getting both o/p as same

Parameters can me modifed from outside the semantic model. Filters can only be modified inside the semantic model.  That makes parameters useful for CI/CD etc.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.