Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Zack92
Helper II
Helper II

Power Query API Help with Generating all the next page tokens.

Hello Guys, 
I hope you're all enjoying your weekend. I need big help with Power Query API and generating all those next-page tokens. I've created a function called "fx_Caledly_Event_Pagination_WithPageID" and another power query called "nl_Event_Pagination_List" to list all those tokens, but I only get one token back. I'm not a developer and I barely know anything about APIs. I've been relying on online resources and YouTube to get this far. Can anybody lend a hand and help me get a complete list of those next-page tokens? Unfortunately, I can't share the API credentials, but I'll give you some information and screenshots. Hopefully, you'll get the idea.

API response what I hit it on Postman 
Zack92_0-1714876946555.png

Function (fx_Caledly_Event_Pagination_WithPageID)

(PageToken as text)=>
let
    Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://api.calendly.com/scheduled_events/?organization=https://api.calendly.com/organizations/D457896GHEBHGDDL&sort=start_time:desc&next_page_token=" &PageToken, [Headers=[Authorization="************", #"Content-Type"="application/json"]])),
    pagination = Source[pagination],
    #"Converted to Table" = Record.ToTable(pagination),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Converted to Table", each ([Name] = "next_page_token")),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Name"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

ScreenShot 

Zack92_2-1714876699180.png

Below where I try to generate all the next page tokens, but only get 1,

let
    Source = List.Generate(
    ()=> [Result = try fx_Caledly_Event_Pagination_WithPageID("") otherwise null, PageNum=1],
    each [Result] <> null,
    each [Result = try fx_Caledly_Event_Pagination_WithPageID(List.Single([Result])) otherwise null, PageNum=[PageNum]+1 ],
    each [Result]
),
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"Value"}, {"Column1.Value"})
in
    #"Expanded Column1"

ScreenShot
Zack92_1-1714876628088.png

I've been struggling with this all day and I just can't seem to figure it out. I could really use some help in generating a complete list of all those next page tokens. I'd really appreciate any assistance you can offer.

Thank you so much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Zack92 

My suggestion is to create a list of numbers containing the page you want to iterate through. Of course, the list is not going to be exact - it may contain more or lesser than the require page numbers as we don't know how many pages there exactly are.  The code would be more or less like this:

let
  //list of numbers from one through 15  
  Source = {1 .. 15} ,
  #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(
    Source,
    Splitter.SplitByNothing(),
    {"Numbers"},
    null,
    ExtraValues.Error
  ),
  #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Converted to Table", {{"Numbers", type text}}),
  #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(
    #"Changed Type",
    "Custom",
    each
      let
        x = [Numbers]
      in
        Json.Document(
          Web.Contents(
            "https://api.calendly.com/",
            [
              RelativePath = "scheduled_events/?organization=https://api.calendly.com/organizations/D457896GHEBHGDDL&sort=start_time:desc&next_page_token="
                & x,
              Headers = [Authorization = "************", #"Content-Type" = "application/json"]
            ]
          )
        )
  )
in
  #"Added Custom"

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @Zack92 

List.Generate(
    ()=> [Result = try fx_Caledly_Event_Pagination_WithPageID("") otherwise null, PageNum=1],
    each [Result] <> null,
    each [Result = try fx_Caledly_Event_Pagination_WithPageID(List.Single([Result])) otherwise null, PageNum=[PageNum]+1 ],
    each [Result]

You mentioned that you only get one page. That is because the first iteration is not equal to null so it stops right there.

each [Result] <> null

You might want to try otherwise.  You'll want it to run until the page number becomes null. If this doesn't work, I would just create a list of numbers/tables of numbers to iterate through. Example {1..10}. This creates a list of numbers from 1 to 10.

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.

@danextian 
thank you for taking a look at my issue. I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble understanding your explanation. It could be because I don't have much knowledge about API development. Could you please explain the difference between your "list generate" code and "my list generate"? Can you please tell me how to fix that issue so it will not stop? Note- When I refresh my query, the result page token gets a new value. 

Hi @Zack92 

My suggestion is to create a list of numbers containing the page you want to iterate through. Of course, the list is not going to be exact - it may contain more or lesser than the require page numbers as we don't know how many pages there exactly are.  The code would be more or less like this:

let
  //list of numbers from one through 15  
  Source = {1 .. 15} ,
  #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(
    Source,
    Splitter.SplitByNothing(),
    {"Numbers"},
    null,
    ExtraValues.Error
  ),
  #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Converted to Table", {{"Numbers", type text}}),
  #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(
    #"Changed Type",
    "Custom",
    each
      let
        x = [Numbers]
      in
        Json.Document(
          Web.Contents(
            "https://api.calendly.com/",
            [
              RelativePath = "scheduled_events/?organization=https://api.calendly.com/organizations/D457896GHEBHGDDL&sort=start_time:desc&next_page_token="
                & x,
              Headers = [Authorization = "************", #"Content-Type" = "application/json"]
            ]
          )
        )
  )
in
  #"Added Custom"

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.