Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

hamusham
Employee
Employee

Power Bi Destop connection failure

Facing an issue with Power Bi desktop is not allowing Microsoft account connection. I explored online but none of the solutions worked here. I am getting the below SSL error. I tried almost all solutions suggested in many articles like trying with FQDN, clearing cache, checking permissions and re-setting power bi cache %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop. In some articles there few other options suggestion but not finding any them in the version that i use (2.116.966.0 64-bit (April 2023))

Details: "Microsoft SQL: A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: SSL Provider, error: 0 - The certificate chain was issued by an authority that is not trusted.)"

Example options that I do not find in my version,  Can someone suggest here how to unblock this. The same power bi worked for many years and it started failing only from 5/15 onwards.  

Below are a few options that are suggested online but do not see them at all in the current version I use. 

• Click on "File" in the top left corner and select "Options and settings" > "Options."
  • In the Options window, select "Security" in the left-hand pane.
  • Under "Data Connectivity," uncheck the box for "Allow Native database query" and "Allow DirectQuery."

• Go to "File" > "Options and Settings" > "Options."
  • In the left-hand pane, select "Security."
  • Under "Data Security," check the "Allow any connection, including connections that are not secure" option. Note that this step is necessary to allow Power BI to connect to SQL Server without validating the certificate. However, it means that the connection may not be secure.
  • Click on "OK" to save the changes.

1. Click on "File" in the top left corner and select "Options and settings" > "Options."

2. In the Options window, carefully explore each section and look for any options related to security, data connectivity, or SSL certificates.

3. Check for options that allow you to specify certificate trust or ignore SSL certificate errors.

1 REPLY 1
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hamusham ,

Are you trying to connect to SQL Server in Power BI Desktop? You can try to install the certificate on the client machine or configure the SQL Server to use a certificate from a trusted authority

For reference:

Error message when you connect to SQL Server - SQL Server | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.