Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

kivancc94
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI & BW Connection - Object Reference Error

Hi,

I am trying to connect Business Warehouse ( BW ) reports by using "SAP Business Warehouse Application Server" . But always getting Object reference error as you can see below.

SAP Net Connector and SAP Analysis is available in my PC.  Any idea how can we solve this issue ?

kivancc94_0-1692872739166.png

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, I downloaded new version of SAP Net Connector. And problem solved. Thanks a lot. 

SAP .Net Connector 3.0 for .NET 4.0 on x64 - 3.0.25 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kivancc94 ,

If I understand correctly, it seems that you got the error message when you connect to SAP BW in Power BI. The following links are the ones which have the similar problem as yours, hope their soution can help you solve the problem.

SAP Business Warehouse connector troubleshooting - Power Query | Microsoft Learn

In some cases, the Navigator dialog box doesn't display a data preview and instead provides an object reference not set to an instance of an object error message.

SAP users need access to specific BAPI function modules to get metadata and retrieve data from SAP BW's InfoProviders. These modules include:

• BAPI_MDPROVIDER_GET_CATALOGS
  • BAPI_MDPROVIDER_GET_CUBES
  • BAPI_MDPROVIDER_GET_DIMENSIONS
  • BAPI_MDPROVIDER_GET_HIERARCHYS
  • BAPI_MDPROVIDER_GET_LEVELS
  • BAPI_MDPROVIDER_GET_MEASURES
  • BAPI_MDPROVIDER_GET_MEMBERS
  • BAPI_MDPROVIDER_GET_VARIABLES
  • BAPI_IOBJ_GETDETAIL

To solve this issue, verify that the user has access to the various MDPROVIDER modules and BAPI_IOBJ_GETDETAIL. To further troubleshoot this or similar issues, you can enable tracing. Select File > Options and settings > Options. In Options, select Diagnostics, then select Enable tracing. Attempt to retrieve data from SAP BW while tracing is active, and examine the trace file for more detail.

powerbi - how to solve Object reference not set to an instance of an object in Power BI and the sour...

The error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" is not for anything specific. Issues can be related to different problematic area. You can try this below to search your luck-

1. Download the latest version of Power BI desktop
  2. Try to match the version (32/64 bit) between your OS and Power BI desktop software
  3. reconnect the data source and then check everything works for you or not after publishing the report

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, I downloaded new version of SAP Net Connector. And problem solved. Thanks a lot. 

SAP .Net Connector 3.0 for .NET 4.0 on x64 - 3.0.25 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.