Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

ShashankBhatt

Power BI Visual Maps

HI there,

I have to do a spatial view in Power BI showing Polygons. I have the Data in Geojson and WKT format. I tried to use the Icon Map but it didn’t give me the results as I found it has a character limitation of something around 32K. Some of my Polygon has 70K character length. Can you suggest any other way of plotting it or any other maps.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ShashankBhatt ,

Drag data fields such as WKT polygons to the Location bucket.

If you want to overlay additional data, such as custom polygons, follow these steps:

Navigate to the Format pane.

Expand the Reference Layer section.

Select File Upload from the Type drop-down list.

vhuijieymsft_0-1715677528916.png

Choose a file with a .json, .geojson, .wkt, .kml, or .shp3 extension.

For more information see:

Add a reference layer to Azure Maps Power BI visual - Microsoft Azure Maps Power BI visual | Microso...

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ShashankBhatt

Hey Yang, thanks for that but couldn't see how to display WKT polygons in Azure Maps, only options I see is Lattitude and Longitudes.

Hi @ShashankBhatt ,

Drag data fields such as WKT polygons to the Location bucket.

If you want to overlay additional data, such as custom polygons, follow these steps:

Navigate to the Format pane.

Expand the Reference Layer section.

Select File Upload from the Type drop-down list.

vhuijieymsft_0-1715677528916.png

Choose a file with a .json, .geojson, .wkt, .kml, or .shp3 extension.

For more information see:

Add a reference layer to Azure Maps Power BI visual - Microsoft Azure Maps Power BI visual | Microso...

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

v-huijiey-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ShashankBhatt ,

Perhaps you could try using Azure Maps Visual to draw large polygons without being limited by the character length of the icon map.

vhuijieymsft_1-1715060067918.png

Remember to grant permissions before using Azure Maps.

In Power BI Desktop, if you do not have Azure maps, you can check if it is enabled in Options>>Preview features.

vhuijieymsft_3-1715060179226.png

In Admin Portal:

vhuijieymsft_0-1715059776271.png

For more information about Azure Maps see the official documentation below:

Get started with Azure Maps Power BI visual - Microsoft Azure Maps | Microsoft Learn

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.