Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

MDGMD

Power BI + Gateway

Hi All,

I have been asked by user to setup Gateway for his Power BI. I have absolute zero knowledge so would appreciate any help on setting this up.

So far i have installed  On-premises data gateway on a Server and signed in with my email address. He has got Power BI on his laptop installed. How do i get Power BI to comunicate with Gateway?

Many thanks

Milan

15 REPLIES 15
Watsky
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey @MDGMD,

To @themistoklis question. Can you explain if the user is trying to access the Gateway itself from the service or is the user trying to publish a report and is having issues where he cannot see the Gateway (for instance cannot schedule a refresh)?

If you added the user as an Admin to the gateway from the Admin menu on the service then he should be able to see it. If that's what you're trying to accomplish then when he clicks the settings menu does he see Manage Gateways or is that not shown?

I'm kinda wondering if what your user is looking for is for you to setup the data sources which need to be accessed through the gateway? If so then you'll need to click the Add Data Source button in the top left corner of Manage Gateways. 

Watsky_4-1632407762669.png

Then you'll need to add the user to the data source.

Watsky_3-1632407631008.png

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up! ?
Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!
Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Proud to be a Super User!

STGMD
Frequent Visitor

I am the user trying to access the Gateway.

The situation is the following:

We need to run multiple refreshes during a day on our datasets for our reports.

Various people in the organisation have access o these Reports to run a refresh.

Currently the data is being refreshed via a "Personal Gateway".

This is an issue when my PC is offline or when I am out on a business trip and not connected to our intranet.

I would like to have multiple accounts be able to refresh the said dataset via the "On Site Gateway".

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @STGMD 

The matter is simple: 

• Install an on Premise Gateway (in the server where the source is)
  • Go to manage Gateways enter all credentials and then add Users to the Gateway
  • Inform the users, the user will then have to "Take Over" for refresh

aj1973_0-1632410692412.png

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Hey @STGMD,

Did @MDGMD  add your data source to the gateway with credentials then add you as a user? If so what happens when you go to your data source on the service then to the Gateways. Do you see the gateway?

I havent add the data source as i am not sure what to add as data source.

Hey @MDGMD , 

@STGMD will need to provide you with the data source that he is using for his reporting. It'll need to be setup the same way for the gateway. If it's a database connection you may want to make sure you get credentials that have access to all tables so that if someone in the future needs access then they will be able to access the same tables. Once the connection is created you'll then have to add @STGMD  and any other user as a user of the data source on the Gateway. 

STGMD
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the responses!

We will test this and see how it goes!

Hi @MDGMD 

According to @STGMD , I think your problem is that you want to refresh your report successfully if the gateway owner is offline or the PC with gateway is turned off. I think that's impossible. Power BI on-premises gateway works like a bridage to provide quick and secure data transfer between on-premises data (data that isn't in the cloud) and several Microsoft cloud services.You need to keep the machine which has the gateway and the data source (if your data soucre is in local.) turned on. Or your refresh will failure.

Here is the offical blog about on-premises data gateway

Here is the offical blog about how to add data source or user in your on-permise gateway.

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Actually the on premises Gateway is run on a PC that is online all the time.

But the problem is, I am the owner of the dataset's, and I have created the Workspace for this purpose.

Currently this is being done via a personal Gateway and our task is to migrate this personal Dataset to be available for all our colleagues.

And since I take my laptop home and turn off the system when I am on holidays, it poses a potential risk, as others using the dataset's cannot refresh.

So the problem is, how to set up the On-Premises Gateway so the dataset's can be refreshed by others while I am off.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@MDGMD If it is running and connected, then Power BI should already know about it. You can go to the gear icon in the Service and then Manage Gateways. It should show up. Then you just have to give the user permissions to use it and configure the data sources.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you for your reply Greg. Showing online but user cant see anything.

tempsnip.png

MDGMD_0-1632405082191.jpeg

Does the user have a PowerBI license (PowerBI Pro or PowerBI Premium)?

Also from your images the gateways that you see are the ones that were set up under your account. 

Does the user want to access/modify a gateway that you created with your account?

You need to share the gateway with the person (Administrators TAB)

gateway.JPG

User has Premium license.

The one that I have set up is under my account and I am an administrator.

He doesnt need to have access to Gateway he just need to share data with other Power BI users in organisation.

themistoklis
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @MDGMD ,

It is best to have a good understanding of PowerBI Gateway and how it communicates with PowerBI.

In simple terms: 

The gateway is required whenever Power BI must access data that isn't accessible directly over the Internet (e.g. Cloud). It can be installed on a server on-premises, or VM-hosted Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS).

The following link provides step by step information on how to set up a gateway:

https://www.sqlshack.com/setting-up-power-bi-data-gateway/

Hi themistoklis, i have actually followed these instructions but it is not working for some reason. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.