Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

yoda

Power BI Gateway Enterprise - Unable to sign-in 'Unauthorized' error

I downloaded and installed Power BI Gateway Enterprise onto my local machine.

But right after 'Sign in to Power BI' button is clicked, I encountered this error: 

One or more errors occurred.
Request error: Id: 'bba48190-62bb-47b9-a474-2ca0cafb4b6e', Status code: 'Unauthorized', Timestamp: '03/08/2016 07:03:44 +00:00', ErrorCode: '', Detail: ''
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.ExternalClient.PowerBIDataMovementClientExtensions.<EnsureSuccessfulDMMSRequest>d__0.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.ExternalClient.PowerBIDataMovementClientExtensions.<DiscoverGatewaysAsync>d__13.MoveNext()

I also installed Power BI Gateway Enterprise in Azure VM where SSAS is installed (SQL Server 2016 CTP3) but I also encountered the same error. 

What needs to be done to expose SSAS (Multidimensional Model) into Power BI?  

8 REPLIES 8
stevenelder

I'm also seeing the same error after installing Enterprise Gateway on a Windows 2012 machine and clicking Sign in to Power BI:

Request error: Id: '2ea60416-3a23-46f3-9022-d92cafa4620b', Status code: 'Unauthorized', Timestamp: '06/03/2016 13:36:41 +00:00', ErrorCode: '', Detail: ''
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.ExternalClient.PowerBIDataMovementClientExtensions.<EnsureSuccessfulDMMSRequest>d__0.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.ExternalClient.PowerBIDataMovementClientExtensions.<DiscoverGatewaysAsync>d__13.MoveNext()

My Office 365 user account credentials permits signing into Power BI Desktop. Does the gateway attempt to use the same credentials?

Am I msising something?

christianb7

I am also facing this today when trying to signin to power bi from Power BI Enterprise Gateway.  I am trying to install on a windows 10 x64 machine.

After clicking sign in I see a message.

Request error: Id: '31fa150f-e5fb-47f6-abc7-c4809b01f920', Status code: 'Unauthorized', Timestamp: '05/24/2016 15:48:01 +00:00', ErrorCode: '', Detail: ''

I can see in fiddler it is communicating, but can't see any error messages there.

Has anyone had any luck in fixing this?

Thanks,
Chris

JPR7
Regular Visitor

The issue for me was the selection of Work vs Personal account.  Although this is for "work", to get into things like Azure my account is technically a Personal account.  So I used that at first.  After many unsuccessful attempts, I went back and selected School/Work account.  I think this actually means an Office365 account which is how Power BI accounts work.  That did the trick.

My explanation might be completely off on this, but I think it does have something to do with a general MS account vs O365 account.

-joe

vaidag
Frequent Visitor

I get the exact same error message when I try to install the enterprise gateway on my local Windows 8 machine:

Request error: Id: '74814cbb-eb72-475d-adee-532cfd711a00', Status code: 'Unauthorized', Timestamp: '04/11/2016 12:18:22 +00:00', ErrorCode: '', Detail: ''
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter`1.GetResult()

Though I succesfully installed it on Windows Server 2012 R2. How to successfully install it on my local machine?

mitchvh

I am getting what looks like the identical error - did you ever solve this issue? I don't understand the one suggestion about logging in as another user - the PowerBI Gateway service runs as "NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService", while the Power BI connection would need to be made using a Power BI user, so I am not sure what user...

Request error: Id: '7b37feea-23bb-4fd1-98d6-a2ee1cf02442', Status code: 'Unauthorized', Timestamp: '03/30/2016 19:58:01 +00:00', ErrorCode: '', Detail: ''

I have SQL Server 2016 RC installed on the same machine, which was upgraded from CTP 3.2, if that provides any clues...

fadelr

Do you have a solution for this error?

I am getting this error too.

@yoda @fadelr 

Did anybody figure out what is causing this?

I figured out what my problem was, not sure if its the same as above:

Before installing gateways....Within power Bi Desktop you need to sign out first..and then sign in with the account you are trying to install the gateway for....once you are signed in with desktop and the correct user then install the gateway...and it should work...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.