Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

amyperry213

Power BI Desktop will not launch

When I try to start Power BI Desktop it will show intilalizing model... then it just goes away and never launches. This happens when I try to open a saved file or if I just try to open Power BI desktop. Problem happened when I installed the latest version of desktop. Have unistalled and reinstalled the last version and still same problem. Any help is appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you for your response. I actually found a solution. I had to uninstall the 64-bit and install the 32-bit version. Not sure why that worked since I have been running the 64-bit all along, but it did. Thanks,

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
pbi_gu

I have tried all the possible or suggested solution, but still not successful in opening Power BI. I never get pass this: Power BI .png

I'd appreciate any help. Thank you!

ITInterstate

Try another account on the same computer and see if power bi opens. 

If it does it is a profile issue

on the account it won't open navigate to %appdata% local/microsoft/powerbi and delete the user.xml file.. should open

birddragonman

solved check the video 👇

https://youtu.be/op1UmLVmK2g 

Mohamad_Faiz

Hi, I too faced the same problem all you need to do is just keep your Internet On while installing and it will open surely.

a9409

Hi, I tried installing the 32- and 64-bit PowerBI but I couldn't start. It shows initialising the model then unable to start after that.  It says we are not able to connect to the model. I tried starting up the Windows with limited Microsoft services, but I still couldn't start Power BI. Can anyone help? 😞

v-kegros

Dear all,

I am having the same issue and tried to follow both recommendations: uninstall x64 and reinstall in x32 (not working) or uninstall web companion (I dont have any). Nothing works... Could you please advice? Here are full details of the error message:

Thanks in advance,
Kevin G.

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
Resolution of the dependency failed, type = "Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.DiagramView.IDiagramViewManager", name = "(none)".
Exception occurred while: Calling constructor Microsoft.DiagramView.Diagram.Visual.DiagramDisplay(Microsoft.DiagramView.Diagram.Visual.ERDiagram Diagram, Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.WindowsHost windowsHost, Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.IReportManager reportManager, Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.IEventAggregationService eventAggregationService, Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.IModelAuthoringService modelAuthoringService).
Exception is: ConnectionException - A connection cannot be made. Ensure that the server is running.
-----------------------------------------------
At the time of the exception, the container was:

Resolving Microsoft.DiagramView.Diagram.DiagramViewManager,(none) (mapped from Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.DiagramView.IDiagramViewManager, (none))
  Resolving parameter "diagramControl" of constructor Microsoft.DiagramView.Diagram.DiagramViewManager(Microsoft.DiagramView.Diagram.Visual.DiagramDisplay diagramControl)
    Resolving Microsoft.DiagramView.Diagram.Visual.DiagramDisplay,(none)
    Calling constructor Microsoft.DiagramView.Diagram.Visual.DiagramDisplay(Microsoft.DiagramView.Diagram.Visual.ERDiagram Diagram, Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.WindowsHost windowsHost, Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.IReportManager reportManager, Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.IEventAggregationService eventAggregationService, Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.IModelAuthoringService modelAuthoringService)

Stack Trace:
   at Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp(Type t, Object existing, String name, IEnumerable`1 resolverOverrides)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.Resolve(Type t, String name, ResolverOverride[] resolverOverrides)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainerExtensions.Resolve[T](IUnityContainer container, ResolverOverride[] overrides)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.DependencyInjectionService.Resolve[T]()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClassa.<Main>b__0()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass7.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__6()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Stack Trace Message:
Resolution of the dependency failed, type = "Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.DiagramView.IDiagramViewManager", name = "(none)".
Exception occurred while: Calling constructor Microsoft.DiagramView.Diagram.Visual.DiagramDisplay(Microsoft.DiagramView.Diagram.Visual.ERDiagram Diagram, Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.WindowsHost windowsHost, Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.IReportManager reportManager, Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.IEventAggregationService eventAggregationService, Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.IModelAuthoringService modelAuthoringService).
Exception is: ConnectionException - A connection cannot be made. Ensure that the server is running.
-----------------------------------------------
At the time of the exception, the container was:

Resolving Microsoft.DiagramView.Diagram.DiagramViewManager,(none) (mapped from Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.DiagramView.IDiagramViewManager, (none))
  Resolving parameter "diagramControl" of constructor Microsoft.DiagramView.Diagram.DiagramViewManager(Microsoft.DiagramView.Diagram.Visual.DiagramDisplay diagramControl)
    Resolving Microsoft.DiagramView.Diagram.Visual.DiagramDisplay,(none)
    Calling constructor Microsoft.DiagramView.Diagram.Visual.DiagramDisplay(Microsoft.DiagramView.Diagram.Visual.ERDiagram Diagram, Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.WindowsHost windowsHost, Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.IReportManager reportManager, Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.IEventAggregationService eventAggregationService, Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.IModelAuthoringService modelAuthoringService)

Invocation Stack Trace:
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.FeedbackErrorInfo..ctor(String message, Exception exception)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowContainer activeWindow, WindowsHost windowsHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass1.<HandleException>b__0()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.SynchronizationContextExtensions.SendAndMarshalExceptions(SynchronizationContext context, Action callback)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

Hi Kevin,

This post solves the problem you are having:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Unable-to-start-Power-BI-Desktop-A-connection-cannot-be-mad...

There is an "awareness" on the PBI Support page that mentions this problem and gives the fix.

Good luck!

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @amyperry213,

I test on 2.40.4554.463 64-bit(English version) and not faced your issue, can you share some detail information about your issue?(e.g. power bi desktop version, language, screenshots...)

Regards,

Xiaoxin sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your response. I actually found a solution. I had to uninstall the 64-bit and install the 32-bit version. Not sure why that worked since I have been running the 64-bit all along, but it did. Thanks,

Hi all, I'm also having some trouble with launching Power BI Desktop. I'm running a windows 7. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
AS Process PID=11336 has exited with ExitCode=-1073741511, ExitTime=2021-03-28T22:56:08.8746204-07:00

Stack Trace:
Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesProcessUnexpectedExitException
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesProcess.AcquireServerDynamicPortInfo()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesProcess.EnsureServiceIsReady()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesProcess.Start()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService.<StartProcess>d__22.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<HandleAwaitableAsyncExceptions>d__1.MoveNext()

Stack Trace Message:
AS Process PID=11336 has exited with ExitCode=-1073741511, ExitTime=2021-03-28T22:56:08.8746204-07:00

Invocation Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass15_0.<HandleException>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.SynchronizationContextExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass2_1.<SendAndMarshalExceptions>b__0(Object null)
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
at System.Windows.Forms.WindowsFormsSynchronizationContext.Send(SendOrPostCallback d, Object state)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.SynchronizationContextExtensions.SendAndMarshalExceptions(SynchronizationContext context, Action callback)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.PowerBIUnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleAwaitableAsyncException(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<HandleAwaitableAsyncExceptions>d__1.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.MoveNextRunner.InvokeMoveNext(Object stateMachine)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.MoveNextRunner.Run()
at System.Threading.Tasks.SynchronizationContextAwaitTaskContinuation.<>c.<.cctor>b__8_0(Object state)
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.WaitOnUIThreadForTaskCompletion[T](Task`1 task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.BlockUIAndRun[T](Func`1 asyncMethod)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FileManager.OpenFile(IPowerBIWindowService windowService, IPbixFile fileToOpen, Nullable`1 entryPoint)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.TryOpenOrCreateReport(IUIHost uiHost, IPowerBIWindowService windowService, IFileManager fileManager, IFileHistoryManager fileHistoryManager, String filePath, FileType fileType, IFileInformationProtectionManager fileInformationProtectionManager)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass4_0.<Main>b__1()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

PowerBINonFatalError:
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.91.701.0","ModuleName":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.dll","Component":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesProcess","Error":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesProcessUnexpectedExitException","MethodDef":"AcquireServerDynamicPortInfo","ErrorOffset":"110"}

PowerBIUserFeedbackServices_IsReported:
True

If you want the power of th 64 bit version, try this solution from Microsoft's Helpdesk:

Please check whether you have any Ad-Aware Web Companion installed. If yes, please follow the instruction on the link below, then reboot and installed and launch the desktop again.

Uninstall Lavasoft Web Companion

http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/supportcenter/technicalproblems/faqs/how-to-uninstall-ada...

Uninstall the LavasoftTcpService.dll after uninstalling Web Companion, please:

a.Start Command Prompt as an administrator by right-clicking it and selecting "Run as administrator."

b.Enter the this command to reset the network adapter: "netsh winsock reset" without the quotation marks and hit Enter.

c.Restart the computer.

d.Delete these two files: C:\WINDOWS\system32\LavasoftTcpService64.dll  and C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\LavasoftTcpService.dll

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.