Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mroberts_troy
Advocate I
Advocate I

Power BI Desktop keeps asking to sign in

Every time I open Power BI Desktop (regardless of whether I'm opening an existing file) it keeps asking me to sign in.  We use MFA so this is highly annoying.  I've Google'd and found similar threads but from the way-back.  I'm running the latest version (2.118.828.0 64-bit (June 2023)).

We've tried a repair on the install but no luck.  Any advice?

36 REPLIES 36
Justas
Advocate I
Advocate I

Still asks to sigh in. Power BI version 2024-03-04. Any ideas?

jlopezfilizzola
Advocate I
Advocate I

Yet another person having issues with this here! talking to you from 2024 March 1st!

One would guess that this should have been fixed already but here we are.

Except, I did find a solution, and it's not Idris' one up there.

I went back on my steps, and I do remember messing with the windows Hello configuration for my laptop, just setting up the fingerprint for easy access and whatnot. I do remember checking something like use windows hello for authentication or something (seemed legit at the moment)

Around that time, there was also a small PBI outage, so I didn't think much when the PBI desktop started asking me for the password, and it also requested one of my coworkers to do it, so I htought that was it.

Fast forward 2 weeks and every single time that I open PBI I have 2 sign in twice, and we use MFA which means notifications, codes, everything... twice. Darn!

SO I found this thread, did everything to no avail.

Until (solution is here )

I remembered the windows hello thingy, started searching in my browsers for related stuff, found nothing, Brave (default), Chrome, Edge... Then I remembered that there was this thing called "Internet properties" in which MS stores some global protection things for Edge and other browsers, went there and found:

jlopezfilizzola_0-1709302637939.png

The option "Enable Integrated Windows Authentication" was checked for me. (as much as I looked for the option in the control panel and windows hello configuration I could not find were to disable the thing I had checked before, but it seems like I was on the right path)

So after unchecking the green option, and applying. I reopened PBI, logged in for the last time, closed it, crossed my fingers and I was logged in.... god, the relief!

ok, cheers, have a good one kind strangers!

Thanks dude, you're a lifesaver

It worked for me. Thanks

how can I mark it as solved?

MrSyte
Advocate I
Advocate I

Turn off the option>preview feature that saves to one drive and sharepoint

I had already reinstalled the app twice and was at one step of formatting my machine to try fixing this bug. Problem solved! Thank you! 😁😁 

I did have both options checked and when unchecked the multiple logins stopped. I ❤️ U @MrSyte 

Worked for me thank you @MrSyte 

Didn't work for me 😞 I had this feature already turned off.

Thanks for the suggestion @MrSyte

Early testing, 2 minutes in, would suggest this works.

How did you come across this issue/fix?

Have I solved your problem?
Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos.
It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
If you find my signature vaguely amusing, please give Kudos.
KIfp67uy-Sr
Proud to be a Super User!PBI-Super-User-Rank-30x30-1x

A wise coworker that asked "What the heck did you do now????" LOL 😎

Honestly I turned on the feature when going to turn on the copilot suggestion that is also in preview.

CathyPalmer
Advocate I
Advocate I

I've just started getting this in the last week or so and it's really annoying. I can see I'm already logged in but this window keeps popping up several times and getting in the way. Seems to make no difference whether I select my work account or just click on the x to close. We're running the September release 2.121.903.0

Turn off the option>preview feature that saves to one drive and sharepoint

I uncheck everyting in Options->Preview. 

Restarted BI Desktop

Start BI Desktop

Login is still being asked, over and over again

it's maddening.  I've given up using the desktop version.  All the comments in here don't work - I suspect there is something else going on and it's just not understood by the people responding.
To make matters worse - this started happening with Teams about a week ago - but thankfully - at least - in the case with Teams it goes away eventually.
I said this to my internal IT staff - I don't think this is a PowerBI issue - I think its an ActiveDirectory / Windows user profile type of issue.

Hi @CathyPalmer,

Microsoft have confirmed they're aware of it and it should be fixed in the next release.

If it's a really big issue for you, you could try to go back to the July release. 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive?tabs=powerbi-d...

If you scroll to the bottom of the July notes, there are download links.

And, if you use the Store version of Power BI Desktop, you don't have to uninstall it, you can run the store version and the web version on your machine separately. I usually run the previous month's version of the web version to deal with things like this.

Have I solved your problem?
Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos.
It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
If you find my signature vaguely amusing, please give Kudos.
KIfp67uy-Sr
Proud to be a Super User!PBI-Super-User-Rank-30x30-1x

Hello @CathyPalmer ,

Did you check the steps in this thread Sign-in Bug Fixed !! 

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos 👍

Follow me on Linkedin
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea 💡

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

Steps in that link worked perfectly thanks

He's on a later version than you said to update to and he's having the issue.  I am likewise on the August version and it's broken - I even had Microsoft on a screenshare where they collected logs and data and it was still busted.  Please stop referring to your post which doesn't fix the issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.