Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Desktop installation failure

tl;dr Are there any folders/registry settings I can delete to make a clean start to installing Power BI?

I downloaded the latest Power BI desktop installer and ran it with no issues. When I try and run the application nothing happens. Nothing shows up in the task bar. Nothing shows up in task manager (or processes). I tried to reinstall using the installer and it finishes successfully but I get the same result. I tried uninstalling using the installer and it says it completed successfully (but oddly finished in less than a second) but when I try and install it again it thinks it is still installed and only gives me the options to "Repair" or "Uninstall". If I choose "Repair" I get the same results as above. Are there any folders/registry settings I can delete to make a clean start?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @Anonymous 

Please review this article to completely uninstall PowerBI  Desktop.

Find the directory for the application and delete all the files in the directory. 
The software is  located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin defaultly.
Then open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE, HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software and find the folder for the application.
Delete the folder. 

Then get the latest version of Power BI Desktop from the Download Center?

If you're running Windows 10, you can also try the version from the Microsoft Store. 

If your computer is not compatible with the current version of PowerBI Desktop, it is recommended to roll back to the previous version.( Previous monthly updates to Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service )

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Try to uninstall, clean the windows temp folder, and install it again.

Also, check any other user recently faced any issue https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

Anonymous
Not applicable

Deleted everything in the Temp folder and now it takes a little longer to either repair or uninstall but neither one appears to do anything. The repair says it completes but I don't get the Power BI app in the Start menu and nothing new has been added to the Temp folder. Any other suggestions?

Hi, @Anonymous 

Please review this article to completely uninstall PowerBI  Desktop.

Find the directory for the application and delete all the files in the directory. 
The software is  located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin defaultly.
Then open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE, HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software and find the folder for the application.
Delete the folder. 

Then get the latest version of Power BI Desktop from the Download Center?

If you're running Windows 10, you can also try the version from the Microsoft Store. 

If your computer is not compatible with the current version of PowerBI Desktop, it is recommended to roll back to the previous version.( Previous monthly updates to Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service )

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.