Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

IamTDR
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Power BI Desktop March 6 2024 Update

Today I downloaded the March 6th 64bit version of Power BI Desktop.  I've been running into a very annoying bug where if I use DAX to create a dimension table (using summarize formula on a source table) later the table changes the field names. Its rather difficult to explain but twice today I lost a bit of working as a dimension table just randomly said a field name was not available.  I am also seeing fields that exists in my tables being underlined in red as if they are errors yet the calculation works.
Not a newbie and have been doing those steps for a while now and never ran into these bugs until today.  I experienced this morning so I sought out to see if an update was available, hence I downloaded the March 6 64bit version.  Experienced the same issues.

Anyone experiencing strange bugs with this most recent release?

13 REPLIES 13
RaderDave

PBI Desktop has an "update" setting to give a notice when new versions are available.

The March 2024 update link in that notice connects to the MSFT Store to "Open" an app.
Furthermore, the app does not open the desktop version (needed by developers).
It ONLY goes to the app.powerbi.com service 
AND it doesn't show the dataset/report (nka schema) that has been used in our organization since December 2023.

Here is the link to the "current" version:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=58494

The link to previous monthly updates does not have the March update yet.
The link to the February 2024 update works as expected and the desktop application opened the latest report and dataset properly and refreshed against the data sources properly.

IamTDR
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I just updated my Desktop version. Have to report back later if the issue still occurs. 

lbendlin_0-1712335766405.png

v-zhouwen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi all, thank you all for your interest in this issue.

I have the latest version of Power BI Desktop installed, and I don't see any of the above yet.You can update to the latest version and try it.

Download Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center

vzhouwenmsft_0-1711622796225.png

vzhouwenmsft_1-1711622805130.png

vzhouwenmsft_2-1711622818148.png

I've also run into situations in my daily use where a field that exists is underlined in red.

vzhouwenmsft_3-1711622862154.png

This is an accidental error and does not affect the calculation, you can delete the field and re-enter it.

Best Regards,
Wenbin Zhou
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Sonichunter

I faced the same issue in February version too, reported to Microsoft help desk , no solution has been provided, currently using December desktop version 

PhillThePowerBI

I have this issue! it started last month:

Random fields underlined in red. Error messagages saying the field name is already in use

This is mainly on my calculated tables, sometimes it will paste the dax epxression for the table into a column inside that table (if that makes sense) overwriting the column with the table expression

When the Feb version first downloaded, it would also shut power bi down completely and I had to resort to saving every time I tyoed something in (this has abated now)

I asked around on reddit, but noone else had these issues, so now I feel vindicated!

Random fields underlined in red

yes, saw that too. Totally normal DAX, functioning well, despite the red squigglies.

I am getting the same  random  red squiggly lines , though the DAX seems to be working.

Yes. It was difficult to explain what I was experiencing. It seems related on calculated tables. I've been saving more often. 

miguelrflores
Frequent Visitor

Experienced this same issue today on the March 4th release 2.126.1261.0 64-bit.

That's still the same February QFE.

Im not saying its the march release. Im stating I downloaded that version today which was published on March 4th. I just had to delete it and install an older version. 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

There is no March version out yet.  Version: 2.126.1261.0 64-bit (February 2024) is a QFE/bug fix for the "single island" bug introduced with the February version.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.