Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vermamanoj1n1
Regular Visitor

Power BI Desktop Client connection with Data Gateway... Power BI Services

Hi All,

I have installed and configured BI Data Gateway (let us call is Bi-Gateway-Enabler) and assigned the data source using the POWER BI SERVICES(SAAS). My data source is within AWS within the SQL Server hosted over an EC2 instance.

Now, I have a requirement of Self-services BI Reports where in the users would come and develop/publish the reports. In our environment we could not allow users to directly connect to data sources and so, I have few queries or clarifications persay:

a. Could I create Power BI Reports based on local file(excel) and assign the datasource (SQL) after the publishing?

b. While creating the report, could a Power BI Desktop Client anyhow allowed to connect to data sources via use of Power BI Desktop Client?

c. Considering that users have to use the Power BI Desktop Client to create the reports, if allowed, could I connect to data source using the same(Bi-Gateway-Enabler) configured BI Data Gateway?

d. If yes, then how to do it?

e. Where to install the BI Data Gateway (Bi-Gateway-Enabler)?

Anyone, any ideas?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
3CloudThomas
Super User
Super User

I believe the best option for you is to:
1. create a Power BI Semantic Model

2. deploy to a workspace

3. Have self-service users to connect to that model on the workspace for data

4. deploy their reports to workspace if needed

View solution in original post

v-tianyich-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vermamanoj1n1 ,

Thanks for @3CloudThomas  guidance, and on that basis I would like to add some gateway information:

Guidance for deploying a data gateway for the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

What is an on-premises data gateway? | Microsoft Learn

Hope it helps!

Best regards,
Community Support Team_ Scott Chang

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-tianyich-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vermamanoj1n1 ,

Thanks for @3CloudThomas  guidance, and on that basis I would like to add some gateway information:

Guidance for deploying a data gateway for the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

What is an on-premises data gateway? | Microsoft Learn

Hope it helps!

Best regards,
Community Support Team_ Scott Chang

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

3CloudThomas
Super User
Super User

I believe the best option for you is to:
1. create a Power BI Semantic Model

2. deploy to a workspace

3. Have self-service users to connect to that model on the workspace for data

4. deploy their reports to workspace if needed

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.