Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Simon_Br
Helper I
Helper I

Performance Power Query

Hello togheter,

i build a Power BI Story whit Power Query and the Data from a Azure Blob. The pbix-File is 60MB. I think this is not big.

But the Performance whit the Power Query is very low and evry time when i close Power Query load Power BI maybi 1GB Data.

Simon_Br_0-1716275225314.png

Why? What can i do for a better the performance?

BG

Simon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yohua-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Simon_Br 

Power BI Desktop may flush the cache, resulting in a noticeable load of data. If the report is set up to use query caching, it will refresh the cache at certain operations, which may explain the data load you're observing.

Ensure that the data model is optimized. This includes minimizing columns and rows to what is absolutely necessary, using appropriate data types, and leveraging query folding where possible. For more information about tuning your data model, see Power BI tuning guide:

Optimization guide for Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If your query references other queries, Power Query might take more steps than you realize, causing performance issues. It's important to understand how reference queries work and optimize them. For more information about this, see: Power Query referenced queries:

Referencing Power Query queries - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Best Regards

Yongkang Hua

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yohua-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Simon_Br 

Power BI Desktop may flush the cache, resulting in a noticeable load of data. If the report is set up to use query caching, it will refresh the cache at certain operations, which may explain the data load you're observing.

Ensure that the data model is optimized. This includes minimizing columns and rows to what is absolutely necessary, using appropriate data types, and leveraging query folding where possible. For more information about tuning your data model, see Power BI tuning guide:

Optimization guide for Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If your query references other queries, Power Query might take more steps than you realize, causing performance issues. It's important to understand how reference queries work and optimize them. For more information about this, see: Power Query referenced queries:

Referencing Power Query queries - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Best Regards

Yongkang Hua

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.