Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

EZimmet
Resolver I
Resolver I

PBIX is failing on a time out

Thank you all for your assistance ,

This PBIX in question was updating with no issues for over a week and now it's failing.  I've been reasearching and trying different things for over a week and still can't resolve the Timeout error. it's alwaws on the same table.

Data source error: {"error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_AdoNetProviderExecuteQueryTimeoutError","pbi.error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_AdoNetProviderExecuteQueryTimeoutError","parameters":{},"details":[],"exceptionCulprit":1}}} Table: __________.

I've increased the Timeout value in the PBIX from [ 900 ] to [  214748368  ]  [CommandTimeout=#duration(14913, 1, 56, 0)  

Tried running it at different times of the day to see if it was a resource issue but still no success.  Can someone please provide assistance to resolve this issue - TY 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @EZimmet 

Hi. Power Bi Pro has a limit of 2 hours to refresh your data.if you exceed that time you can't continue. This can happen for different reasons like bandwitdh (if you have a gateway) or dataset size.

You have to consider reading about downsizing data model. You can find amazing youtube videos from guy in a cube and others in order to make your model smaller. Usually making a good star schema helps.

Another thing you can check is if your source is returning the data fast. You might have a big crazy native query to the source that takes a lot. Those scenarios might need a middle store procedure building a table in the data base engine in order to help Power Bi only reading the resulted table and avoiding running a complex query.

If you are on premise you can also check bandwidth but that might be the last option because the first two I have mentioned are the most common issues.

For more information please refer to the linked article:

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2021/12/05/troubleshooting-power-bi-timeouts-part-1-the-two-five-hour-i...

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @EZimmet ,

Based on the error code "DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_AdoNetProviderExecuteQueryTimeoutError", this indicates a timeout issue when Power BI is attempting to execute a query through the On-premises Data Gateway.

Ensure that the On-premises Data Gateway is up to date and running without any issues.
If possible, run the query directly on the data source to see if it also times out there.
Check if there are any resource bottlenecks (CPU, memory) on the server where the gateway is installed or on the data source server.
Although you have already increased the CommandTimeout setting in the PBIX file, also check the timeout settings on the gateway itself.
Follow these instructions to configure the timeout settings for the gateway: Configure timeout settings.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

If it does not help, please provide more details.

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @EZimmet ,

Based on the error code "DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_AdoNetProviderExecuteQueryTimeoutError", this indicates a timeout issue when Power BI is attempting to execute a query through the On-premises Data Gateway.

Ensure that the On-premises Data Gateway is up to date and running without any issues.
If possible, run the query directly on the data source to see if it also times out there.
Check if there are any resource bottlenecks (CPU, memory) on the server where the gateway is installed or on the data source server.
Although you have already increased the CommandTimeout setting in the PBIX file, also check the timeout settings on the gateway itself.
Follow these instructions to configure the timeout settings for the gateway: Configure timeout settings.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

If it does not help, please provide more details.

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @EZimmet 

Hi. Power Bi Pro has a limit of 2 hours to refresh your data.if you exceed that time you can't continue. This can happen for different reasons like bandwitdh (if you have a gateway) or dataset size.

You have to consider reading about downsizing data model. You can find amazing youtube videos from guy in a cube and others in order to make your model smaller. Usually making a good star schema helps.

Another thing you can check is if your source is returning the data fast. You might have a big crazy native query to the source that takes a lot. Those scenarios might need a middle store procedure building a table in the data base engine in order to help Power Bi only reading the resulted table and avoiding running a complex query.

If you are on premise you can also check bandwidth but that might be the last option because the first two I have mentioned are the most common issues.

For more information please refer to the linked article:

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2021/12/05/troubleshooting-power-bi-timeouts-part-1-the-two-five-hour-i...

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

• I'll start looking at the videos from guy in a cube
  • This PBIX has run with no issues for weeks and the last week started failing 
  • The PBIX size is 395,781 KB  / 0.39 GB 
  • Star Schema process was followed in design & only pulling columns needed from tables

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.