Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

duc
Helper I
Helper I

PBI Showing Null instead of actual value

Hi

I have imported data from folder successfully to PBI, but one of columns showed null instead of its real data. 

Pleas anyone can help?

Here is in PBI

duc_0-1664709475287.png

And here is the excel file

duc_1-1664709542329.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@duc OK, well that explains the mystery. Almost guaranteed that you have a difference in your file formats like number of columns, etc. Thus, when you use a folder query and you use a sample file of 2020 then 2020 loads fine but 2021 is slightly different and therefore some transformation somewhere is messed up. I am guessing if you used 2021 as your sample then 2020 would be messed up somehow. Make 100% sure that your file formats are identical, same number of columns, same column names, etc.

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@duc If you click the down arrow icon for that column, do you see any values other than null? What if you click the Load more values?

Follow on LinkedIn
Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler Yes, I did load all values. The whole column is null, while other columns are still good.

@duc Any chance you can share your Excel file? Also, could you post the code from the Advanced Editor window?

Follow on LinkedIn
Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler  The code from advanced editor is as follow 

let
Source = Folder.Files("C:\Users\XXX\OneDrive - YYY\Shared folder\12. Data analysis\Data to PBI"),
#"Filtered Hidden Files1" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each [Attributes]?[Hidden]? <> true),
#"Invoke Custom Function1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Hidden Files1", "Transform File", each #"Transform File"([Content])),
#"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Invoke Custom Function1", {"Name", "Source.Name"}),
#"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1", {"Source.Name", "Transform File"}),
#"Expanded Table Column1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Transform File", Table.ColumnNames(#"Transform File"(#"Sample File"))),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Table Column1",{{"Source.Name", type text}, {"No", Int64.Type}, {"DateKey", Int64.Type}, {"Order Code", type text}, {"Status Order Form", type text}, {"Department", type text}, {"Event Code", type any}, {"Name", type text}, {"Name-Eng", type text}, {"Event Date", type date}, , Int64.Type}, {" ANI Ethical event owner ", type text}})
in
#"Changed Type"

I have 2 similar excel files, for 2020 and 2021. The 2020 file worked normally while the format is the same. It's a big file with data, I am afraid I can not share, but if you need more info, I can provide. Sorry about that.

@Greg_Deckler  I tried to load both files separately, they are all good. But when I put them into a folder and load the folder, only file 2020 worked; the 2021 file loaded but one column showed null. Appreciate if you can help!

@duc OK, well that explains the mystery. Almost guaranteed that you have a difference in your file formats like number of columns, etc. Thus, when you use a folder query and you use a sample file of 2020 then 2020 loads fine but 2021 is slightly different and therefore some transformation somewhere is messed up. I am guessing if you used 2021 as your sample then 2020 would be messed up somehow. Make 100% sure that your file formats are identical, same number of columns, same column names, etc.

Follow on LinkedIn
Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler  Thanks for your help! There is an additional space in column title, and that messed up.  Thanks a lot, Greg.

@duc Always the little things!!

Follow on LinkedIn
Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.