Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

rmcpdias
Advocate I
Advocate I

Opening a link in the same browser tab

Hi experts.

Does any of you know if there is a way to open a link in the same browser tab as the report you are executing?

I've tried 3 different ways and none worked:

1 - Create a button with a Web URL action -> Opens the link in a new tab;

2 - Use the HTML Content Visual with this HTML :  <a target="_self" href="http://address" >Text</a> -> Opens the link in a new tab;

3 - Use the HTML Content Visual with Javascript window.open("http://address","_self") -> Doesn't work at all;

Any suggestions?

Rui

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rmcpdias 

This is currently not supported in Power BI. You could vote for below similar ideas about this feature:

Microsoft Idea  · Allow Hyperlinks in Text Boxes to Open in Same Tab

Microsoft Idea  · Added web links control

Microsoft Idea  · Possibility to choose how a URL shall open

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rmcpdias 

This is currently not supported in Power BI. You could vote for below similar ideas about this feature:

Microsoft Idea  · Allow Hyperlinks in Text Boxes to Open in Same Tab

Microsoft Idea  · Added web links control

Microsoft Idea  · Possibility to choose how a URL shall open

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

Thanks @v-jingzhang !! Fist one seems to have received more than 900 votes but is still not 'under review'...while there are other ideas with only one vote and 'under review'.

Do you have any idea on how can we push for this? Thanks!

Not sure why this topic is marked as it if had been solved as is something that is still open and without a solution, is it? Thanks!

Migasuke
Super User
Super User

Hi @rmcpdias ,

This is not part of PBI settings, it is related to the browser you use. Most of the browsers opening "external links" in a new tab. I assume it has something to do with performance.

You might try to search in your browser for that settings (or maybe find an extension).

If my answer was helpful please give me a Kudos or even accept as a Solution.

Let's connect on LinkedIn!

Hi Migasuke,

My PBI report is embeeded on a web portal and when I click the particular column say info_details it opens a new page but I have to sign in and naviage to info_detail all over.

Would it be possible to share the browser setting that you have made so that the url link from PowerBI opens on the same broswer.

Thank you in advance

I'm sorry but that's not correct. You can control the behaviour of how you open links in JavaScript or HTML, as I showed in my previous email.

Yes, you can control this behavior for example in HTML, nevertheless at the end it is the browser, which interacts with your HTML code. I can give you example here:

I have just changed settings of my Firefox, that my external links would open in the sabe tab and I achieved exactly the result you wanted. When I click on the button, the link opens in the same tab, where the report was.

If I open the same report in different browser (Chrome in my case), the link will open in a new tab.

If my answer was helpful please give me a Kudos or even accept as a Solution.

Let's connect on LinkedIn!

Look, thank you very much for you effort, but I think my question is quite clear : I want to control the behaviour of links from the report, not from the browser.

If I do it on the browser settings it will affect everything that's opened with the browser and that is not a viable option.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.