Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

joew98
Frequent Visitor

Only show Last X days based on date slicer selection

Hi,

I have a filter to show data from (for example) the last 7 days. If I apply a date slicer to allow the user to go back and select a date 6 months ago (e.g. 11th January), how do I ensure that the relative date filter still applies so that the data only displays the last 7 days before 11th January?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @joew98 

According to your description, you want to create two slicers in your visual . One is the Last N days and another is the selected Date.

Here are the steps you can refer to :
(1)This is my test data and we do not need to create any relationship between tables.

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1691726434613.png

And The Date in my side is created by this:

Date = CALENDAR(FIRSTDATE('Fact Table'[Date]) , LASTDATE('Fact Table'[Date]) )

(2)Then we can create  a Numeric range parameter as a "Last N days" slicer.
vyueyunzhmsft_1-1691726476572.pngvyueyunzhmsft_2-1691726513878.png

(3)Then we can create a measure like this:

Measure = var _days  = MAX('Last N Days'[Last N Days])
var _selected_date = MAX('Date'[Date])
return
IF( MAX('Fact Table'[Date]) <= _selected_date && MAX('Fact Table'[Date])>_selected_date -_days ,1,-1)

Then we can put the measure on the "Filter on this visual" and we can meet your need:
vyueyunzhmsft_3-1691726564582.png

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
joew98
Frequent Visitor

@v-yueyunzh-msft Hi thanks for the help. This solution works with table visuals but do you know how to get it to work for card visuals? When I apply the measure to 'Filters on this visual' for my card visuals, it does not allow me to select it. Do you know a workaround?

Hi , @joew98 

Thanks for your quick response ! If you want to put this in the card visual , you need to realize it in the dax .Like this:

Measure 2 = var _days  = MAX('Last N Days'[Last N Days])
var t2 = FILTER('Fact Table' ,'Fact Table'[Date] <= _selected_date && 'Fact Table'[Date]>_selected_date -_days)
return
sumx(t2,[Value])

Then we can get it as the same :

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1692266909777.png

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi @v-yueyunzh-msft ,

I can't seem to get that to work for me, would you be able to help? I can add the measure to the card visual but cannot select it to change from 'is less than'. 

joew98_0-1692273513519.png

Hi , @joew98 

Thanks for your quick response! You can check if you may create any relationship :

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1692322865109.png

And you can also download the pbix file below.

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @joew98 

According to your description, you want to create two slicers in your visual . One is the Last N days and another is the selected Date.

Here are the steps you can refer to :
(1)This is my test data and we do not need to create any relationship between tables.

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1691726434613.png

And The Date in my side is created by this:

Date = CALENDAR(FIRSTDATE('Fact Table'[Date]) , LASTDATE('Fact Table'[Date]) )

(2)Then we can create  a Numeric range parameter as a "Last N days" slicer.
vyueyunzhmsft_1-1691726476572.pngvyueyunzhmsft_2-1691726513878.png

(3)Then we can create a measure like this:

Measure = var _days  = MAX('Last N Days'[Last N Days])
return
IF( MAX('Fact Table'[Date]) <= _selected_date && MAX('Fact Table'[Date])>_selected_date -_days ,1,-1)

Then we can put the measure on the "Filter on this visual" and we can meet your need:
vyueyunzhmsft_3-1691726564582.png

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.