Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

agalbraith
Helper II
Helper II

Only Allow Use of One Slicer at a Time

I looked through the forum and could not find the answer. I have three separate chiclet slicers on each page. We want users to only be able to use one slicer at a time, because when you click on multiple slicers across the 3, the data gets too sparse (goes blank because we limit response to 5 or more respondents). How do I do this? I thought it was to turn off the interactions among the slicers but that only means they don't filter each other, not the ability to only use one at a time. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
agalbraith
Helper II
Helper II

5 REPLIES 5
agalbraith
Helper II
Helper II

for anyone looking into this as well I found this solution and it worked for me!

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/When-selecting-one-slicer-other-slicer-gets-disabled/m-p/21...

rsbin
Super User
Super User

@agalbraith,

I'll try to lay out a potential work around to your problem. 

Create a measure for each of your Slicers:

Slicer1 = IF ( ISFILTERED [ColumnName1] = TRUE(), 1, 0 ) 
Slicer2 = IF ( ISFILTERED [ColumnName2] = TRUE(), 1, 0 ) 
Slicer3 = IF ( ISFILTERED [ColumnName3] = TRUE(), 1, 0 ) 

I believe the Chicklet Slicer allows for conditional Titles.  So you can create a title measure something like this:

Title_Slicer1 = IF (OR (Slicer2 =1, Slicer3=1), "DO NOT USE", "Your Title" )
Replicate for the other 2 Slicers.

Not sure if my syntax is exact, but hope you get the idea.  A SWITCH Statement may work better.

This won't disable the Slicer, but at least you can give the User a Warning Message, so as not to use multiple slicers.

Regards,

I'd like to try this but I am getting an error when typing in the measures saying "too many arguments were passed to the isfiltered function. the maxium argument count for the function is 1"

Good Morning @agalbraith ,

I am not an expert at writing syntax on the fly.  You will need to search how to properly write it out.

I am probably missing a set of parenthesis somewhere in there.  Just test out the syntax for the ISFILTERED function without the IF.  Once you get that working, then throw in the IF Statement around it. 

Hope you can get it to work. 

Regards,

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

I don't think there is a simple way to do this but I bet you can cook up a solution using buttons and bookmarks where, for example, you only have one slicer visible at a time and switching bookmarks to a different slicer resets them.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.