Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

vkomarag
Helper III
Helper III

Not able to understand circular dependency in my data. Need help.

Hi,

Below are the sample columns in my data. Let me explain. I am struggling to find the circular dependency here.

Year(column) Rating(Column)

RANK(column) Qfactor(Measure)

PREV_QFACT(Measure)
CURR_QFACT(Measure)

YTD CALCULATION(Column)

RANK column is calculated based on YEAR column.

Qfactor measure is calculated based on Rating column

PREV_Qfact and CURR_Qfact is calculated based on RANK and QFactor.

YTD calculation column is calculated based on PREV_QFact and CURR_Qfact.

I am able to create columns. But i have an independent data with (Indicator and Url columns).

I am trying to create teh relationship between YTD indicator from one table  to  Indicator in the another table.

I am getting an error "A circular dependency is detected".

Any eye openers in this scenario. If i dont join this cross join is happening .

Apprecate your help.

Thanks

KVB

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Everything about ciruclar dependencies is horrible.  They are hard to understand, and the error message doesn't help.  I feel for you.

Definately start w/ this https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/understanding-circular-dependencies/

Setting a "primary key" on your table might help, freaky  use of ALL( ) and ALLEXCEPT( ) may help... but go read the blog, and maybe pray.

Yeah. I read the article. What i understood from that article is  CALCULATE command consider all the columns when trying to do calculation. In my example, PREV and CURR_Qfact are measured using CALCULATE command.

Is there anyway  to calculate Qfactor for the year 2015 without using CALCULATE command.

Currently i use 

PREV_Qfactor=CALCULATE([Qfactor],FILTER(Sheet1,Sheet1[Year]="2015"))

CURR_Qfactor=CALCULATE([Qfactor],FILTER(Sheet1,Sheet1[Year]="2016"))

Any alternative ? Please help.

Thanks

KVB

Anonymous
Not applicable

It would be awesome if we can convince @marcorusso to come help us 🙂  I was getting killed yesterday.

So, as the article says... when you use calculate( ) on a calc column... it is going to create a dependency to ALL the other columns, when converting it's row context to filter context.  First calc column will be fine... but once you add a 2nd, they depend on each other.

Setting a primary key can help, otherwise... we are trying to figure out "how do I remove the dependency on the other calc column?

My best guess would be to add   ALL(MyTable[CURR_Qfactor]) on the PREV calc and ALL(MyTable[PREV_Qfactor]) on the Curr calc... but, we are at the edges of my knowledge. 

ALL function takes only column as an argument. It cannot take measure as input.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I mean something like... instead of what you have:

PREV_Qfactor=CALCULATE([Qfactor],FILTER(Sheet1,Sheet1[Year]="2015"))

CURR_Qfactor=CALCULATE([Qfactor],FILTER(Sheet1,Sheet1[Year]="2016"))

try someting like:

PREV_Qfactor=CALCULATE([Qfactor],FILTER(Sheet1,Sheet1[Year]="2015"), ALL(Sheet1[CURR_Qfactor]))

CURR_Qfactor=CALCULATE([Qfactor],FILTER(Sheet1,Sheet1[Year]="2016"), ALL(Sheet1[PREV_Qfactor]))

As from my best reading of the article on cirucular reference suggests ... that may help? 🙂

PREV_Qfactor and CURR_Qfactor are measures. I am trying to make the formula as suggested. 

PREV_Qfactor=CALCULATE([Qfactor],FILTER(Sheet1,Sheet1[Year]="2015"), ALL(Sheet1[CURR_Qfactor]))

CURR_Qfactor is a measure.. ALL function acepts only columnname as argument. It does not accept measure.

Any alternative.Please suggest.

Thanks

KVB

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler you have knowledge here?

If I am reading this correctly, the circular dependency is caused by your YTD CALCULATION being a column instead of a Measure. If you change it to be a Measure, you should get rid of the circular dependency. Otherwise, you have the issue where YTD CALCULATION as a Column depends on the measures PREV_QFACT and CURR_QFACT but the CALCULATE for PREV_QFACT and CURR_QFACT brings in the YTD CALCULATION column and presto, circular dependency.

Would be great to have just a little sample data and all of your formulas to recreate. For example, I am not sure if your Rating and QFactor are in different tables or the same table.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Yeah. I tried the measure .It's working. But the problem is YTD indicator is having a relationship to an Indicator column of another source. If i make it a measure then i cant make a relation between a measure and column.

Hope you got my problem.

I am just strucked by this behaviour.

Thanks

KVB

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.