Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

mkulikowski
Frequent Visitor

Normal Distribution with ranges (bloody topic)

Hey folks,

I need some help with calculation of total weight of carcasses of chickens based on this matrix table.

For this I need to use normal distribution so let's say for 1000 birds each of them will fall into one of these ranges so that I can calculate total weigh of carcasses taking into account this normal distribution by knowing how many falls into each one.

I was thinking about field parameter for number of chickens but then not sure about the approach. Is it doable in PowerBI? Ideally I would like to have just additional column with number of birds falling into each range.

WarmCarcass is a ratio of it to the live bird. I can calculate mean and assume standard deviation (which may be changed over time)

image.png

3 REPLIES 3
mkulikowski
Frequent Visitor

Hey - 

yes - eventually this is my measure which is working. I am only struggling with some birds are 'missing' when distributed over the ranges as per the screenshot:

Probability Measure Adjusted 3 =
VAR TotalChickens = [IloscZywca] -- total number of chickens
VAR MeanWeight = MAX('Matrix'[true_mean]) -- mean weight across  dataset
VAR StdDevWeight = SD[SD Value] -- standard deviation value
VAR TotalProbability =
    SUMX(
        'Matrix',
        VAR RangeStart = 'Matrix'[waga_min]
        VAR RangeEnd = 'Matrix'[waga_max]
        VAR CumulativeProbabilityStart = NORM.S.DIST((RangeStart - MeanWeight) / StdDevWeight, TRUE)
        VAR CumulativeProbabilityEnd = NORM.S.DIST((RangeEnd - MeanWeight) / StdDevWeight, TRUE)
        VAR ProbabilityInRange = CumulativeProbabilityEnd - CumulativeProbabilityStart
        RETURN
        ProbabilityInRange
    )
RETURN
round(TotalProbability * TotalChickens, 0)

I have a slicer to input number of birds and standard deviation

mkulikowski_0-1708764575567.png

Probably the hawk got them.  I meant to say, probably rounding errors or insufficient statistical significance.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

What have you tried and where are you stuck?

NORM.DIST function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Learn

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.